Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Wet Tennis Shoes and My Inner Mommy Struggle
MontanaMama2009 posted:
(APO my blog)

Wet Tennis Shoes and the Inner Mommy Struggle

It's been raining for days here. The rain flows in rivers down the streets and pools up in the clogged street drains.

It's been nice, really, to have all of this rain. Because we live in a semi-arid climate, rain really is scarce. Well, precipitation of any kind is. Although we get a lot of snow in the mountains, down here in the valley, the snowfall is less than the norm. That doesn't make for a nice summer. Means we'll have lots of forest fires. Which means lots of smoke in the air. Which means our lungs will burn if we're outside playing. So we'll be forced to stay indoors during the only 3 months of the whole year when it's actually fun to live in Montana.

Anyhow, back to the rain.

It's so peaceful to sleep to the sound of a steady falling rain. It's also nice when it rains during the weekdays because then I actually work...at work.

My older daughters walk home from school. They're not used to all of this rain, so they weren't prepared the first day the rain came down in buckets. I got frantic phone calls at work at 3:15 p.m.: "Hi, Mom! Did you notice it's raining? Can I get a ride home from school?"

Well, I remember when I was a kid and I didn't get rides home in the rain. We wore things called "rain coats" and had things called "umbrellas." But not my kids. They get carpooled everywhere they go, mostly, even on sunny days. But I recently made a rule to save on my time: "From now on, you girls will walk home from school."

They both whined about it, obviously. But in the end, I won...like I normally do.

So back to the rain and after school.

I actually DID pick them up and bring them home that first day of rain. But the next morning, when it was still raining, I told them to dress for the weather because they most definitely were walking home in the rain.

Which they did. One with my free Clinique umbrella and the other with a hoodie over her head.

Next morning, as I'm dropping them off at their schools, my 10yo remarks: "Hey, Mom. My tennis shoes are still wet."

I lean over the seat to peek at her shoes. Yep. They were still wet. In fact, they were SO wet that they still went "squish" when she walked. AND it was STILL raining.

Up popped my angel mommy on my right shoulder, and the devil mommy on my left. Angel mommy said, "Awwww. Have a heart. Drive back home and get her some dry, warm shoes."

And devil mommy said, "What??? That girl is TEN years old. If she can't figure out that she needs dry, warm shoes, that's HER problem. This will teach her a lesson."

I paused...what to do? What to do?

I looked at my car's interior clock: 3 minutes before I had to be to work, and I still had to drop off the teenager at her school.

So I said to my 10yo daughter, "Well, looks like this will teach you to wear dry, warm shoes, Faithy! Sorry!"

And I pulled away from the curb and left her standing at the corner of the school playground with her umbrella over her head and squishy, wet shoes on her feet.

Spotlight: Member Stories

i am 34 years old, i am married for the second time and have my one and only child lucas,who is 2 years old.dh has 3 teenagers from his previous marri...More

Helpful Tips

And They Slept Happily Ever After (By Johnson's)
I really liked this site. I forget sometimes that it would be SO relaxing to have a warm, soothing bath, then a calm, warming nighttime ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.