Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Dark Circles and an Aching Body...
MontanaMama2009 posted:
Ladies,

It's been a completely EXHAUSTING weekend. Not my typical exhausting weekend...this one was extraordinarily exhausting.

Three days off (holiday weekend) and I'm SO ready to return to work, sit at my desk in my office and sip on my hot cup of coffee. No kids. Just me and my Gerry Rafferty playing...ahhhhh.

But back up. It's still Sunday. 8:30 at night right now and not an end in sight.

Back up further.

It's Friday night. I'm uber-excited for my 3-day weekend. Why? I can't even imagine now....because my weekend consisted of laundry, dishes, poopy diapers, washing floors, mowing the grass, cleaning out closets, cleaning out boxes of junk from the garage, telling my older two girls to quit arguing, telling my youngest to do as I've asked, begging for a complete 5 minutes without interruption, running errands, cooking meals, running the buckets and buckets full of recycling to the transfer station, more poopy diapers, more laundry, more cooking....and the list goes on and on and on and on and on and on....you get what I mean.

I mean, you're probably there, too, aren't you? Looking forward to a weekend and then realizing you shouldn't have been?

Last week, towards the end of the work week, I was ready to quit my job. The hassle of three kids and a full-time job was exhausting.

But let me tell you, ladies, the hassle of three kids and a three-day weekend is far worse. OMG. and I'm not saying, "gosh" at the end of that phrase!

It's Sunday night...8:42 p.m. now as I type this. My older two girls are upstairs fighting and screaming. My youngest is getting into her older sister's things and getting yelled at.

I should step in. I should stand up and make my presence known.

But I need this five or ten minutes to sip my red wine and pretend more a moment that I'm at the Riviera sipping hot toddies with my handsome husband...WITHOUT whining children.

No poopy diapers to take care of...no dirty dishes once again piling up in the sink...no meals to cook...no floors to scrub. Just me and my husband and ROMANCE. And better than romance...a full-night's sleep and a few hours to myself....

Hey, a woman can dream, right????!!!
Me, DH of 16 years, DD1 (15yo), DD2 (10yo), DD3 (nearly 2), a labrador, a tabby cat, a lop-eared bunny, and goldfish!  Life is grand!  http://daisyheadmamas.blogspot.com/

stephs_3_kidz responded:
Sounds like a typical day at my house. I'm so tired by the time I do school pickup (on the days DH can't) that I often fall asleep waiting in line before school gets out.

We had a particularly rough Saturday. I don't know why. It was just rough. When DH came home from work I told him, "I need a few minutes" then I went and got in a warm shower until there was no more hot water.

yeah. I get it. Some days leave you feeling absolutely depleted and defeated. But then you look at their little faces and you find the strength to do it all over again the next day, right?

So.. ((HUGS))

ukbluegirl02 replied to stephs_3_kidz's response:
I can totally relate ladies!! My weekend was very similar to yours MM except no teenagers and 3 LOs under the age of 4. So a LOT of whining, crying and fighting. ugg. And to top it off our A/C broke Friday night and it was over 80 with about 75% humidity. That really helps the already short tempers....

So now here I sit in my A/C office, finally NOT sweating after my morning shower, drinking my coffee, praying my ibuprophen kicks in so this heat induced no sleep migraine will pass.

Happy Tuesday!

MontanaMama2009 responded:
I often wonder if spacing my children so far apart was a big mistake?

When my older two were little, it seemed...easier? It was still difficult, but manageable. Of course, I was also a SAHM. I had some overwhelming days, sure, but not like I'm having now.

It's tough having a teenager AND a toddler. It's almost as if my Dh and I need to divide and conquer, if you will.

Because teens are extremely demanding on a parent's emotional energies plus physical energies. I can't just say, "Now go play with your dollies while Mommy cleans."

I'm literally driving her to and from every athletic event, every play, every sleepover, every after-school activity, and every driver's ed class. I'm helping with science projects, English reports, and history projects. I'm up late at night talking through her struggles and helping her to become strong in her decision-making skills. I'm at the clothing stores searching racks of clothing for that perfect pair of blue jeans, or row upon row of shoes for the high school dance...or picking out hairstyles for her next hair cut...or getting her ears pierced and teaching her how to keep her ears from getting infected.

THEN I have a 10yo daughter who needs me to climb mountains with her, take her to the pool, help her with her school projects, discuss emotional traumas from the popular cliques at school, talking about the boy she has a crush on, teaching her how to keep her body clean, reading chapter books to her, riding bikes, and the list goes on.

Add to all of the above a toddler in the mix and life is total chaos.

I think life may have been a tad bit easier if I'd not spaced the last one so far apart from the first two. Then I could just play llegos with all three of them, or take all three of them to a playground park, or color in coloring books with all three, or make homemade playdough with all three.

But having to be so diversified in my parenting skills is going to send me to the insane assylum.

BTW, my DH has been forced to work two jobs since we lost our business late last year. And I'm now working full-time for the first time ever in my marriage.

something's gotta give...right?

Me, DH of 16 years, DD1 (15yo), DD2 (10yo), DD3 (nearly 2), a labrador, a tabby cat, a lop-eared bunny, and goldfish! Life is grand! http://daisyheadmamas.blogspot.com/

ukbluegirl02 replied to MontanaMama2009's response:
No matter, what is on your 'plate' it's never easy!!! And as you've so accurately pointed out to me, we'll miss it when we're old and gray sitting on our porches waiting for our LOs to call!

But yes back to your original post, I could type a novel as to the craziness that is our life. It's great! (As I sit here and exhale....)

MontanaMama2009 replied to ukbluegirl02's response:
My hot coffee and relaxed office atmosphere is SO nice this morning, LOL

Thanks for the reminder about when I'm old and gray. I needed to hear it.
Me, DH of 16 years, DD1 (15yo), DD2 (10yo), DD3 (nearly 2), a labrador, a tabby cat, a lop-eared bunny, and goldfish! Life is grand! http://daisyheadmamas.blogspot.com/

stephs_3_kidz replied to MontanaMama2009's response:
I'm not so sure that how far the children are apart has anything to do with it, really. Or being a SAHM or WOHM. I think it's just the pressures of life in general, of being The Perfect Mom, The Perfect Wife, etc.

My kids are all *around* 2 years apart. And I have a 9yo, a 6 1/2 yo, a 4 1/2 yo, and little man will be 2 in July. DD1 (6 1/2) thinks she's 16. She argues with EVERYONE, and so does DS1. Seriously, there are days when she and DS1 (9) have me in the bathroom in tears with their fighting. Saturday was one of those days.

I have to just come at it with a sense of humor or I'd go insane. I do this whole parenting/homemaker/cook/chauffeur/wife thing a lot on my own, too. If I told my kids to go play with something while I cleaned..? Please. They'd just scoff at me and continue wreaking whatever havoc they were in the middle of to begin with. lol When I clean, it's a struggle to get it all done. When I cook, it's a struggle to get everyone seated, fed, and cleaned up.

It's life. It's how it is. And some days it can really, really wear you down, no matter who you are.

And being a SAHM with 4 little ones, I have no respite. Nowhere to turn. Nowhere to leave the kids so I can go to the dr, even. No one to help when all 4 are sick, or when I'M sick. It's just tough, DH works 70 hours a week some weeks. But it's the life I chose and so I deal with it and try to find enjoyment in everything I can.

And yeah, when we're old and gray we will really miss these days. It makes me sad just to think about it.

Hot coffee and a few minutes of quiet really does a lot for you. I particularly enjoy it when I go to pick up the oldest 2 from school and the youngest 2 fall asleep. Ahh...niiiiice.

MontanaMama2009 replied to stephs_3_kidz's response:
I think I'm too far removed from the time when my older two were little kiddos, wink wink

stephs_3_kidz replied to MontanaMama2009's response:
Naaahhhh..not that far removed!!!

My mamaw always told me it's the easiest when they're little, because it's easier to explain to a 5yo why they can't have a toy or draw on the wall with markers, than it is to explain to a teenager why she can't wear black lipstick or borrow the car.

She was a smart woman.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Alicia-29 DH-28 DD-6-2-08 DS-11-08-09 We loosely follow attachment parenting and I love it! We live in southern Vermont where we are always outside pl...More

Helpful Tips

And They Slept Happily Ever After (By Johnson's)
I really liked this site. I forget sometimes that it would be SO relaxing to have a warm, soothing bath, then a calm, warming nighttime ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.