Skip to content
Doctor question
daisy729 posted:
So, I have a doctor's appointment to see my gyn to get my yearly exam and to take out my Mirena *gulp*

When I made the appointment a year ago, my schedule was totally different. I made it for 8 am and I have no one to watch DS, so I was thinking of taking him with. Would that be strange? Any advice on what to do to keep him occupied while in the room and the doctor is doing the exam? Should I just reschedule?

mamatobe08 responded:
My DS would open the door and run out lol, so I couldn't take him with me. The Mirena removal is quick and simple, but the exam will obviously be a little longer. If your DS can't/won't run away, I would bring toys, but if he's anything like Charlie, I would reschedule lol.

daisy729 replied to mamatobe08's response:
LOL, good point. DS can open doors. I don't really want to be chasing him down the halls in a gown with my butt hanging out!

MontanaMama2009 replied to daisy729's response:
Can you bring a PNP and plop it open for the 20 minutes you'll be in the exam room? Is there room in the exam room for the PNP?
Me, DH of 16 years, DD1 (15yo), DD2 (10yo), DD3 (nearly 2), a labrador, a tabby cat, a lop-eared bunny, and goldfish! Life is grand! http://daisyheadmamas.blogspot.com/

MontanaMama2009 replied to daisy729's response:
Or a stroller. Strap and buckle him in the sucker.
Me, DH of 16 years, DD1 (15yo), DD2 (10yo), DD3 (nearly 2), a labrador, a tabby cat, a lop-eared bunny, and goldfish! Life is grand! http://daisyheadmamas.blogspot.com/

daisy729 replied to MontanaMama2009's response:
Oh, a stroller is a good idea. The rooms are pretty tiny, but I think I could get a stroller to work. I have one of those little ones in the garage, I'll look at it and see if I can clean it up.

mamatobe08 replied to daisy729's response:
LOL well better the butt than the other side the doctor will be interested in, right?!?? Hahaha ok sorry.

A stroller is a good idea. I would still have a screaming kid, but that's better than an escape artist!

ad1978 responded:
Any reason why you can't just reschedule?

ad1978 replied to ad1978's response:
I hit Submit too quickly....

Any reason why you can't just reschedule? Unless it is really hard to get a more convenient appt, this would be best for a few reasons
- OBs tend to get caught up in emergencies/long conversations, and you could end up in the waiting room with a restless LO for a really long time.

Then you take LO into the exam room, and have him sit in the stroller for another long period time.

Then the dr comes in and he's asking you questions, and maybe you also have questions, but LO is pitching a fit so it isn't very productive.

daisy729 replied to mamatobe08's response:
LOL, very true :) Although chasing down a screaming kid in the doctor's office, I don't think I would be thinking about my exposed butt. That would hit me later :)

It's tough to reschedule with my doctor. If my appointment was in the afternoon, I would reschedule because by that time, they are really running late. But, I have it first thing in the morning, so hopefully she wouldn't be running late. It's a toss up, DS could be really good and just hang out, that's how he usually is. He's usually out of control when he's tired, and since it's at 8 am, he should be so tired.

I still have a few more days to figure out what I'm doing, my appointment isn't until next week. Just tossing around some ideas to see if it might be worth it.

KatieS83 replied to daisy729's response:
I've had to take DS to every prenatal appointment i've had up until they started weekly NST's on me. I put him in his stroller brought some toys and snacks, and let him to go town.

The major plus to my OB (there arent many I hate them if i could change i would), is the nurses in that office LOVE DS, and one of them who i've become rather close with, will take him back to the waiting room and play with him during the appointment.

roni090909 responded:
I have to bring DS to all my prenatal appts. I give him a snack cup with some cheerios in it. I bring toys but he could careless about them. Last time I gave him a kleenex and he starting "cleaning" the room. It was pretty funny. Also you will probably have a nurse in there that can help if needed during the exam.
Me (30) DH (37) DS 10/20/08 New Baby Girl EDD 11/11

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 30 years old from Albany, NY. DF and I are the proud parents of a beautiful little girl, Isabella. She was born on St Patty's Day, 2009! S...More

Helpful Tips

And They Slept Happily Ever After (By Johnson's)
I really liked this site. I forget sometimes that it would be SO relaxing to have a warm, soothing bath, then a calm, warming nighttime ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.