Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
G-diapers?
mamatobe08 posted:
I went to BRU today and was looking at them. I've never paid much attention to them before. They're so soft on the outside!

So, you can use either a disposable insert OR a cloth one? And how does the liner go in there? Who has used them before and how do you like them?

ariannasmommy1125 responded:
I have looked at them before, but I don't really know the answers to your questions! They seem a little pricey, but compared to buying disposables all the time, I guess they aren't.

jlc78 responded:
I believe you can use either disposable or cloth inserts. My BFF used them for a bit when her daughter was a newborn and she HATED them. Sorry, I'm not much help. Check out diaperswappers or diaperpin for some reviews.
Me (31) DH (32) and our 2 beautiful babes DS (6/07) and DD (9/08)

KCAimee responded:
I'm on diaperpin and truthfully, I haven't seen good reviews of these. That said, I have never tried them before. Also, most of the women on diaperpin are cloth users so I think the thought is, why go with that when you can get cloth that is the same? Hybrid diapers, like g-diapers are getting quite popular. You might check out the Flip, grobaby and gro-via diaper system or others. I believe you can use disposable inserts with these as well. Here is a link to some of these:

http://nickisdiapers.com/catalog.php?category=1369

mamatobe08 responded:
Thanks for the input! See, I'm looking at the other ones you gave the link to, and they look like the cover material is just like the BG or whatever. That's what I really liked about the G-diapers, the cover is so soft! I have been checking out reviews on BRU and Amazon and they're like half and half. Go figure!

Jamie--do you know what it was about them that your BFF hated?

jlc78 replied to mamatobe08's response:
I'll send her a message on FB when I get home today. But it had something to do with washing the cloth inserts. I think they were a PITA --- you could only hand wash them? Or she couldn't put them in the dryer? I forget but it was something along those lines and I found it strange when she told me.
Me (31) DH (32) and our 2 beautiful babes DS (6/07) and DD (9/08)

MontanaMama2009 responded:
I used g-diapers for a bit when Nettie was small.

Things I loved:
* Easy-peasy.
* Flushable...or biodegradable in the garbage.
* Soft
* chemical free
* No washing involved...except occasionally the cover. No biggie.
* Fits just like a disposable.
* You're saving the environment.
* I could add a cloth diaper insert instead of the g-diaper insert whenever I wanted.
* They snap/velcro at the back of the baby, so when baby gets bigger (like toddler age), they can't yank them off.

Things I didn't love:
* Not as absorbent as a disposably by any stretch of the imagination, but how could they be? There aren't any chemicals to absorb urine. So I had to change more frequently.
* A tad bit pricey.

that's it for my "things I didn't love."
Me, DH of 16 years, DD1 (15yo), DD2 (10yo), DD3 (nearly 2), a labrador, a tabby cat, a lop-eared bunny, and goldfish! Life is grand! http://daisyheadmamas.blogspot.com/

mamatobe08 replied to MontanaMama2009's response:
Thanks Kim. I would get the cloth inserts--maybe they didn't have them when you used them? I don't know lol but now they have the disposable/flushable insers or a cloth inserts. But you can also use prefolds folded up in there as an insert. I would probably use the disposable ones while traveling, although we won't be traveling near as often as we are now!

I'll be doing EC too, so I only need it to hold 1 pee really, I will be changing often and will have LO diaper free at home as much as possible(hopefully lol, we'll see what actually happens when that time comes).

I'm thinking I will buy like 2 or 4 of the pants, and like 6 inserts to start, and see how I like them before I decide if I should stock up. Plus I'll want to see how the EC goes and if I even need more diapers than that. I have 6 BG pockets so I will probably use those at night.

MontanaMama2009 replied to mamatobe08's response:
No, there weren't any cloth inserts back when Nettie was born (all of 2 years ago, LOL! Things change quickly!)

I used a premie sized prefold if I wanted cloth instead of the flushable.

Also, I found -- after I'd spent $$$ on NEW gdiapers -- two whole boxes of infant-sized covers and flushable liners at a used baby store in town (the liners weren't used, but the covers were used slightly).

Might be worth checking that out, too, to save a bit more $$$?
Me, DH of 16 years, DD1 (15yo), DD2 (10yo), DD3 (nearly 2), a labrador, a tabby cat, a lop-eared bunny, and goldfish! Life is grand! http://daisyheadmamas.blogspot.com/

mamatobe08 replied to MontanaMama2009's response:
LOL I knew it wasn't long ago, but they must have had to catch up to the consumer's needs. I will look around resale stores, there's a bunch of them back home in Michigan. I called the cloth store here in St. Louis and they don't carry the G's.

KCAimee replied to mamatobe08's response:
Are you on www.diaperswappers.com ? They have a HUGE FSOT and they now have a section for hybrids. I've bought and sold many things on DS. In fact I sold my last 2 fitteds just this morning over there

mamatobe08 replied to KCAimee's response:
I did get on there today and saw there are tons of G-diapers up for sale. I don't want to buy anything yet, since we'll be living at my mom's for a few months, but I will keep my eyes on it. Thanks.

KCAimee replied to mamatobe08's response:
NP! I've had really good luck there and have never (knock on wood) had a bad experience. I've bought stuff that is like new for a great price.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Me, DH, three girls, two labs, one tabby cat, 20 guppies and a baby lop-eared bunny.

Helpful Tips

And They Slept Happily Ever After (By Johnson's)
I really liked this site. I forget sometimes that it would be SO relaxing to have a warm, soothing bath, then a calm, warming nighttime ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.