Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Fishing Tackle
sarahann1978 posted:
I don't know if this is applicable to any of you, but since it's summer time and I do this outreach at work I thought I would mention here that if you like to go fishing for recreation, make sure that you use lead free tackle especially around little ones, or if you are pregnant.

My co-worker and I were discussing that when he was a kid he used to like to suck on the lead sinkers because they were sweet, little kids don't know any better! The whole sinker need not be ingested to be dangerous, they have lead powder on them that can also get on your hands as you work with them and be ingested inadvertently if not washed off properly before eating.

There are many lead free alternatives so look out for them. Usually a good way to determine if a product has lead is it will have the California warning: "WARNING: This product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm." Lead free products usually also boast about that characteristic.
Sarah (31), DH(29), DS (Jan. 09) sarahaburger.blogspot.com

ariannasmommy1125 responded:
Oh wow.... I never thought about that. I need to check our tackle. We haven't been fishing since DD was born, but want to try it this summer. Thanks for the info!

Spotlight: Member Stories

i am 34 years old, i am married for the second time and have my one and only child lucas,who is 2 years old.dh has 3 teenagers from his previous marri...More

Helpful Tips

And They Slept Happily Ever After (By Johnson's)
I really liked this site. I forget sometimes that it would be SO relaxing to have a warm, soothing bath, then a calm, warming nighttime ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.