Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Olivia
MontanaMama2009 posted:
I can't put this on my blog...Olivia will read it. So I'll write it for you.

Yesterday morning, Olivia started her cycle.

I know you may not think that's a big whoop, but wait until it's YOUR daughter who comes to you and says, "Mommy? I just started."

I actually thought it would've happend last summer. She was already "mature" in more ways than one, and her mood swings and upset tummy convinced me it would be any month now.

But that was last summer.

I was going to take her to get her ears pierced on her special day, a "Welcome to Womanhood" kind of thing. But for her 15th birthday a month ago, I took her for her first earrrings. I felt bad that she was 15 and didn't have her ears pierced yet.

Yesterday, she was full of questions. We'd already talked about this, but now that it was happening to her, she had tons more questions.

Her stomach was sore, she had a headache, her face was a bit pale, her hair unkempt. She laid around in pjs for some of the day, texting her BFFs and discussing their first cycles, too.

This morning, when the house was still quiet and the sun was just creeping into the sky, I woke up and crawled into bed next to Olivia.

I stroked her hair, her back, and replayed in my mind all of those mental photos I have in my brain from her baby and toddler years. Like the way her blonde pig tails were so long, even at the age of 3. Everyone commented on her beautiful toddler head full of hair.

Or the times we'd make homemade playdough together, or kneel on the sidewalk drawing stick figures of the family with colored chalk. Or blowing bubbles int he back yard and chasing them around.

Or those moments when she was a tiny newborn, fresh home from the hospital, and the scent of baby on her skin and in her hair..and the way she would snuggle in close to my chest.

I cried like a baby. I can't even explain what happens to you when you realize your child is nearly fully grown and the time went by like a flash. I snuck back out of bed and into bed with DH.

He was immediately concerned, like I'd had something tragic just happen...

I said it was nothing, just that Olivia was growing up and away and there wasn't a darned thing I could do about it.

He said, "but you still have a 1 year old."

And I replied, "But Olivia used to be my one-year-old."

And DH just held me in his arms and let me cry it all out.
Me, DH of 16 years, DD1 (15yo), DD2 (10yo), DD3 (nearly 2), a labrador, a tabby cat, a lop-eared bunny, and goldfish!  Life is grand!  http://daisyheadmamas.blogspot.com/

sarah0323 responded:
Lurking....

I'm so not ready for this day. My Olivia is only 11 but seems to be ready to start any month now. I still want her to be a little girl yet I know she is growing up so fast.

Hang in there and Hugs we so don't want them to grow up.
Me 32,DD 11, DS1 6, DS2 4, DS3 3, EDD 11/19/10

MontanaMama2009 replied to sarah0323's response:
Thanks, sarah...
Me, DH of 16 years, DD1 (15yo), DD2 (10yo), DD3 (nearly 2), a labrador, a tabby cat, a lop-eared bunny, and goldfish! Life is grand! http://daisyheadmamas.blogspot.com/

daisy729 responded:
That made me cry, just so you know!

I try very hard to enjoy the times I have with Dane, I know they won't last forever, and that he will be all grown up in a flash. Every year seems to go by faster and faster. I remember being a kid and just grasping at everything to try and be more grown up. Now, I see myself starting to try to grasp at the time flying before my eyes.

kristinrayerootes replied to daisy729's response:
I just read it and also started to cry - you are a bully Kim! Just kidding (about being a bully)!

MarissasMommy replied to kristinrayerootes's response:
Bawling away here, too. Of course, I can blame my postpartum hormones...lol Marissa is 7, Addison is almost 2, but I know in the blink of an eye, they'll be hitting puberty, too. And where you said "Olivia used to be my one year old" - that is how I feel about Marissa! I can't believe she's already 7. Seems like just yesterday she was Parker's size!

MontanaMama2009 replied to MarissasMommy's response:
Yep...time flies.
Me, DH of 16 years, DD1 (15yo), DD2 (10yo), DD3 (nearly 2), a labrador, a tabby cat, a lop-eared bunny, and goldfish! Life is grand! http://daisyheadmamas.blogspot.com/

ShayKTen responded:
aw this post brought tears to my eyes!

before kids, it seemed that time tip-toed and was as slow as a turtle, that we had all the time in the world and nothing mattered. Since having kids, it seems that I can't catch every waking moment and you seriously want to bottle them all up so you don't miss a thing. My dad tells me all the time "enjoy them this little while you have it, time goes by so fast you won't know what hit you when they grow up" and its so true. Seems as everyday passes, the days go by faster and faster and in my heart, its truly sad but inevitable.

Cherish everything about Olivia as your "one-year old" and everything she was inbetween that stage and who she is today and everything that she will be in the future!

Hang in there mama!!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm 30 years old from Albany, NY. DF and I are the proud parents of a beautiful little girl, Isabella. She was born on St Patty's Day, 2009! S...More

Helpful Tips

How Has Your Marriage Changed?
I'm a veteran mommy...been doing it for 15 years now. But I have a few newbie mommy friends who struggle with how their marriage has ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.