Skip to content
Growing Basil
katieb426 posted:
I hope this is okay to ask this here. I know there have been other gardening discussions.

So far this year, the garden looks great. DH and I have enjoyed spinach pizza and have gotten two nights of spinach salad. The sugar snap peas are growing well, but unfortunately, they'll probably be ready to pick right around the time we leave for vacation- boo!

Cilantro is beautiful and being added to lots of our dishes. And last week we had tilapia with a butter/lemon thyme sauce.

BUT I seem to be unsuccessful with basil. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Too much water? Too much sun? Not enough?

Does anyone have any good advice? I have 3 seedlings that are ready to go outside, but I'm afraid to kill them like I did the other two!

cheeezie25 responded:
No advice, but I'll be interested to hear what others have to say. I tried to grow some basil (not even from seeds... I bought a pre-grown plant), and that thing wilted like there was no tomorrow. I def have a brown thumb lol

katieb426 replied to cheeezie25's response:
I did the same thing, cheezie. I bought 2 plants and they withered. They are still alive, but ailing badly.

I started three plants from seed inside and have been "hardening" them to outside weather the past couple of days. They look great, but I just know as soon as I put them in the garden they will go like the others! Same thing happened last summer. :(

gemini5324 responded:
In my experience, basil does better in a pot alone than in the ground "sharing" space with other plants. It also thrives in full sun, but in an area that is not too hot. If it gets too hot, move it to somewhere where it gets only sun part of the day.

We water our basil daily, but don't soak the pot. Also, when you harvest, make sure you are harvesting the largest leaves. The garden guy told us that as long as you leave at least 1/3 of the plant after you take leaves, it will grow back, but if you take too much, it will die more easily.

If your plant starts to flower, make sure you pull off the flowers, because flowering will stunt leaf growth.

Hope this helps!
Megan, Kevin, Gabe

katieb426 replied to gemini5324's response:
Thank you! That does help a lot. I was toying with the idea of trying it in a separate pot. What size should I use?

cheeezie25 replied to gemini5324's response:
That is helpful, thanks!

gemini5324 replied to katieb426's response:
We have ours in a medium sized pot- maybe like a gallon size or something like that... Not exactly sure. It was just a pot we happened to have empty. We also do half reg dirt & half veggie potting soil for all our potted plants. (We only have container veggies)
Megan, Kevin, Gabe

katieb426 replied to gemini5324's response:
I really appreciate it, gemini. I think that's what I'll try. I LOVE making basil pesto and we also use it in some soups. So I really want it fresh from our backyard! :)

gemini5324 replied to katieb426's response:
Also, this website might be helpful to you
http://www.ghorganics.com/page2.html

It describes what to avoid planting in the direct vicinity of each other for optimal plant growth.
Megan, Kevin, Gabe

Spotlight: Member Stories

Living in the desert with a husband, a toddler, and a black lab.

Helpful Tips

How Has Your Marriage Changed?
I'm a veteran mommy...been doing it for 15 years now. But I have a few newbie mommy friends who struggle with how their marriage has ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.