Skip to content
Chicken nuggets
daisy729 posted:
I dragged my heels for months on giving Dane processed food. Then, one day I caved and gave him some store bought chicken nuggets that DH had bought. I read the ingredients later and was mortified at the list of ingredients, it was loooooooong. And the nutritional info was terrible.

So, I went to my Jessica Seinfeld cookbook that uses the fruit and veg purees to 'hide' in food. There is a chicken nugget recipe in there, so I tried it out. I bought some chicken tenders, steamed some sweet potatoes and pureed it, dredged the chicken in the sweet potatoes and then some panko and pan fried it in olive oil. I have to say, Dane loved them, DH loved them, and I thought they were pretty good. So, I froze the rest by putting them on a single layer on a cookie sheet. Now, I have a big bag of chicken nuggets.

I have to say it's huge relief knowing that Dane isn't eating lunch that is full of fat, salt and chemicals.

It only ate up about an hour of my time on Sunday. And now that I have the hang of it, it will probably take half that amount of time. So, now I'm challenging myself to do more. I need to figure out what more I can make at home and then freeze.

Do you guys have a good list of easy make ahead or meals you freeze?

cheeezie25 responded:
This doesn't really address your question, but I found some good chicken nuggets at Whole Foods a few weeks ago. They were normally some outrageously high price, like $6.99 for a 10oz box or something, but there was a sale on them for about $3.99/box... still alot, but since DS isn't huge on chicken nuggets, we only make 2 or 3 for him at a time anyway, so not a huge deal right now.

Anyway, I think they were made from chicken not given antibiotics, had limited if no preservatives, and may have been organic. I am blanking on the brand name (I'll post when I remember), but my DH reported that they were yummiest, most natural tasting nuggets he's ever had. When I actually get the time to make stuff from scratch, I usually just serve it then lol, so I just thought I would throw that out there for anyone in my boat! But I think it was a good alternative to the regular, more processed nuggets you would typically find at a grocery store.

cheeezie25 replied to cheeezie25's response:
Ok, it was eating at me, so I poked around on google... Bell & Evans is the brand: http://www.bellandevans.com/product_details.cfm?prd_id=35

They make alot of frozen chicken stuff. I picked up the chicken burgers on sale a week or two ago given that the nuggets got such good reviews lol, but I don't think DS or DH have tried those yet.

daisy729 replied to cheeezie25's response:
I don't have a whole foods near me, so I don't really get a chance to go there. I have a Sprouts, so they might have something similar. Those are good to have around in a pinch. Which, that is why I gave Dane the other nuggets. I was tired, I had pretty much nothing in the fridge, and I didn't feel like cooking :)

And I know there will come a time that I don't feel like making stuff and throwing it in the freezer one week, so I do agree, it's nice to have a healthy alternative to the home made stuff too.

I'll be interested to hear the brand, maybe they have them at Sprouts too.

jlynnpaine responded:
I like using my crock pot for easy meals and I will often make extra to freeze. I like to make chicken and rice and stew. We use organic veggies and brown rice and just plain old Kirkland chicken breasts. For red meat, we use venison so that's about as organic as it gets.

DD loves chicken nuggets and sweet potatoes so I will have to give that a try when I get some time.

daisy729 replied to jlynnpaine's response:
I do use my crockpot a lot too, but I generally don't make enough to freeze, I should do that with some of the dishes.

Let me know if you want the recipe, I'll post it later when I get home.

MontanaMama2009 responded:
It's funny that you posted this, Jaimee, because just a few days ago, I had some chix breast that I needed to re-use and was wondering what to do with it.

I didn't use a cookbook but made up my own recipe for chix strips:

Cut chix into strips
dredge in whisked egg and orange juice mixture
plop in bowl of dried onions (the stuff that goes on green bean casserole) and sesame seeds mixture to coat each piece
fry in olive oil
drizzle poppyseed salad dressing over top

Delish! Even Nettie begged for more.
Me, DH of 16 years, DD1 (15yo), DD2 (10yo), DD3 (nearly 2), a labrador, a tabby cat, a lop-eared bunny, and goldfish! Life is grand! http://daisyheadmamas.blogspot.com/

daisy729 replied to MontanaMama2009's response:
Wow, that sounds good too!

I love those onions, I can eat them straight out of the can. I never thought to use them to coat/bread something. I'll have to try that.

MontanaMama2009 replied to daisy729's response:
Yeah, but your sweet potato dredge sounds MUCH better!
Me, DH of 16 years, DD1 (15yo), DD2 (10yo), DD3 (nearly 2), a labrador, a tabby cat, a lop-eared bunny, and goldfish! Life is grand! http://daisyheadmamas.blogspot.com/

momma2lucas replied to MontanaMama2009's response:
i need to drag that book back out! that sweet pot dredge sounds so yummy!

daisy729 replied to momma2lucas's response:
It is! Just some sweet potato puree and egg. It's a little tricky because it is so much thicker, but you get the hang of it. And, it's good if it's a little lumpy, then you get lumps of sweet potato in each bite!

You can do it with almost any veg, but sweet potato sounded the best to me.

Spotlight: Member Stories

i am 34 years old, i am married for the second time and have my one and only child lucas,who is 2 years old.dh has 3 teenagers from his previous marri...More

Helpful Tips

And They Slept Happily Ever After (By Johnson's)
I really liked this site. I forget sometimes that it would be SO relaxing to have a warm, soothing bath, then a calm, warming nighttime ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.