Skip to content
Nettie's birthday present
MontanaMama2009 posted:

Well, I WAS going to buy a trailer, but I read in Consumer Reports that this style of bike seat (front attaching) is actually safer.

If you're a novice or not in top shape, you'd probably be better off with a front-mounted seat.
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/babies-kids/baby-toddler/travel-gear/bike-trailers/bike-seats-and-trailers-for-children-4-07/overview/bike-seats-and-trailers-for-children-ov.htm

As we mentioned, because a trailer is closer to the ground, it's potentially safer than a bicycle-mounted seat in a fall. Some designs have a hitching arm that allows the bike to fall without affecting the trailer.[br>[br>Still, trailers pose safety problems because their low profile makes them difficult for motorists to see, especially in limited light. They should have a 3½- to 7-foot-tall, high-visibility orange flag. Trailers are also wider than the bike, so they take up more of the roadway. If you're riding on the shoulder, the trailer can stick out into the road if you're not careful. And trailers can tip over if you turn abruptly or turn when one wheel is going over a bump. As you speed up, braking becomes harder, especially on wet surfaces. Trailers can become snagged on bushes or other objects.[br>
Me, DH of 16 years, DD1 (15yo), DD2 (10yo), DD3 (nearly 2), a labrador, a tabby cat, a lop-eared bunny, and goldfish!  Life is grand!  http://daisyheadmamas.blogspot.com/

Jackie03291 responded:
That's a cool looking bike seat! We have one of the ones that go behind you but I haven't used it yet this year only last summer, so I definitely need to dust that sucker out and take Ava for a ride!

Nettie is going to love that! You'll have to share a pic with her in it!! :)

MontanaMama2009 replied to Jackie03291's response:
How do you like your pull-behind trailer? Do you find it difficult to use? Are you able to go on trails with it? And sidewalks?

I didn't get the pull-behind because Consumer Reports says they're difficult to maneuver on sidewalks and trails due to how wide they are.

Does yours have tinted "windows"?

Does yours have a roll-over bar, where if you crash, her pull-behind stays upright?

I'm curious because I never did hit the "buy it now" button on the above item, and I was mulling things over in my brain last night.
Me, DH of 16 years, DD1 (15yo), DD2 (10yo), DD3 (nearly 2), a labrador, a tabby cat, a lop-eared bunny, and goldfish! Life is grand! http://daisyheadmamas.blogspot.com/

Jackie03291 replied to MontanaMama2009's response:
Sorry I wasn't clear, I actually have the seat like that but goes behind the adult on the back of the bike not a trailer.

To be honest, I don't like the idea of the trailers just because I would feel like I don't have as much control over it and if I were to tip over on my bike now, it is easy to reach behind me to steady and hold Ava before we really go down and almost impossible to do that with a trailer.

MontanaMama2009 replied to Jackie03291's response:
Gotcha!

I misread your thread.
Me, DH of 16 years, DD1 (15yo), DD2 (10yo), DD3 (nearly 2), a labrador, a tabby cat, a lop-eared bunny, and goldfish! Life is grand! http://daisyheadmamas.blogspot.com/

TyPatrick08 replied to MontanaMama2009's response:
My Aunts BF gave me his bike trailer.... No lie you need to be a gold metal olympic to pull that thing!! Maybe its just me but I consider myself to be in pretty good shape and I was STRUGGLING to ride with that. Also like you mentioned I did not feel safe with turning and how much wider it is then the bike. I threw it in the trash!!! Tyler did love it though! My Office Manager so kindly gave me her bike seat that sists behind me so kind of like the one you are talking about but he is behind me. Its brand new my OM only used it twice she said. Its super safe I rocked that thing all over to see if i could rip it off the bike. The first time I went for a bike ride with him in it of course I was nervous, but not anymroe he loves going for rides he will sometime grab his helmet look at me and say BYE-BYE. He also scratches my back LOL when we are ridding he so nice to me! If I would have not gotten the one for free I probably would have purchased the one that sits in front of you. Nettie and you will love it!!!

MontanaMama2009 replied to TyPatrick08's response:
Thanks for your response. Wow. Well, I'll just go ahead and purchase the pictured item above, then.

I nearly did switch my mind and get the pull-behind.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Living in the desert with a husband, a toddler, and a black lab.

Helpful Tips

How Has Your Marriage Changed?
I'm a veteran mommy...been doing it for 15 years now. But I have a few newbie mommy friends who struggle with how their marriage has ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.