Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Canning Recipes
sarah0323 posted:
Hi Momma's,
I know that not many of you post on this exchange any more but do any of you have any good canning recipes? We put in a pretty good size garden every year and I all ready can tomatoes, green beans, beets, spiced cucmber rings, pumpkin, apple butter and some times jelly if I get the fruit and freeze corn and zuchini. Do you have a speghetti sauce recipe or anything other recipe that you would like to share? My SO mom and I can most of the summer but we are just looking for a few new idea's.

Thanks so much!!!
Me 32,DD 11, DS1 6, DS2 4, DS3 3, EDD 11/19/10

sarahann1978 responded:
I really like this website:

http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/index.html

If I am canning I go there for recipes because they are scientifically tested to be safe. They have a couple of spaghetti sauce recipes.

Good luck!
Sarah (31), DH(29), DS (Jan. 09) sarahaburger.blogspot.com

MontanaMama2009 responded:
One tip/trick my MIL taught me years ago is to place the jars and lids in boiling water, leave them sit for about 2-3 minutes, then pull them out with tongs, add your stuff, screw on the lids using a hot pad, then tip the whole jar over to cool.

After it cools, tip it back upright. It's already formed a seal. Something about heat to cool process.

I've used that technique for years and it works GREAT!
Me, DH of 16 years, DD1 (15yo), DD2 (10yo), DD3 (nearly 2), a labrador, a tabby cat, a lop-eared bunny, and goldfish! Life is grand! http://daisyheadmamas.blogspot.com/

gemini5324 replied to MontanaMama2009's response:
I know that the directions on the Ball jar box say not to boil the lids because they can warp & not seal properly. If you just boil the glass part of the jars, the heat from the jars cooling will create the same suction.

Also, make sure your jars are kept warm until you fill them- if they are cold & the stuff you put in is hot, they can shatter & that sucks.
Megan, Kevin, Gabe

Spotlight: Member Stories

Alicia-29 DH-28 DD-6-2-08 DS-11-08-09 We loosely follow attachment parenting and I love it! We live in southern Vermont where we are always outside pl...More

Helpful Tips

Natural Cleaning Products
VINEGAR: Mix 1 part water to 1 part vinegar. Works as a natural deodorizer AND disinfectant! Safe on most surfaces and incredibly ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 35 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.