Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Bountiful baskets?
magsnemma posted:
Has anyone ever used this organization? It's a co-op that operates in the Southwest. It looks like a good way to get fresh, local fruits and veggies and there's an option to get an organic basket. If you've done anything like this, how was your experience? Any tips?

I'm thinking about trying it out next week, it's only $15 for a basket, more if you want organic. I had heard about it before, but a lady started talking to me about it in the grocery store (that never happens to me) and told that they also have fresh bread as well.
Me (32), DH (32), DD (born Nov 2008)

rcarmommy responded:
One of my BFFs lives in Phoenix and LOVES the bountiful baskets. She gets TONS of fruits, veggies, bread..etc. She says it is well worth the $15 and you generally get way more than you would find in a grocery store.

I wish I lived back in AZ-- I would totally do it!

sarahann1978 responded:
I'll have to look into it, sounds very interesting. Let me know if you get any more information.
Sarah (31), DH(29), DS (Jan. 09) sarahaburger.blogspot.com

sarahann1978 replied to sarahann1978's response:
Wow, I just looked at the website and it seems like a great program. There is a pick up location 7 miles from my house, but they are not this week. Next time they have it I am going to try it. Thanks for the tip!

katieb426 responded:
That sounds awesome! I have never heard of anything like that around here, but I might have to do some checking...

Thanks for sharing! :)

leftcoastgirl responded:
I don't think we have that specific organization here in LA, but there are a lot of other CSAs. I'd love to hear about anyone's experience with them. I'm especially interested in whether you find yourself throwing a lot away and whether it's a pain to schedule time to pick up your shipment each week.

daisy729 responded:
I know a few people who use Bountiful Baskets as well and they have loved it! And for $15/basket, I think that is a great price. If I go to the farmers market I like, I can easily spend $20-$30 a week. However, I can get fresh eggs from him too. I do like going to that one because I can talk with the farmer himself. He's got some amazing stuff, and it tastes absolutely fantastic. His fresh lettuce was very good and lasted several weeks in the fridge. Yes, weeks!

We have been thinking about signing up for it as well. If you do, let me know how you like it. Or, what you don't like about it too.

sarahann1978 responded:
I just ordered one to be picked up on Saturday, I will let you know how it goes. It was actually $19.50 because they charge a one time $3 start up fee and $1.50 transaction fee for each order. So in the future they will be $16.50.

MontanaMama2009 replied to sarahann1978's response:
When we lived in the country, there was a group of Huterites that would drive fresh produce/meats/poultry/flower baskets out to our town twice a month during the summers. You could purchase directly from them.

Their farm fresh chix were excellent, their flowering baskets overflowing, the homemade pot pies (which were entitled "pop" pies, LOL) were fabulous, and so were their fresh fruits.

We ordered boxes of peaches once...they started to go south so I had to quickly get some preserves canned.

It was a tad more expensive than shopping at the nearest grocery store, but the freshness and quality was far superior.

I hope you all like your Bountiful Baskets.
Me, DH of 16 years, DD1 (15yo), DD2 (10yo), DD3 (nearly 2), a labrador, a tabby cat, a lop-eared bunny, and goldfish! Life is grand! http://daisyheadmamas.blogspot.com/

sarahann1978 responded:

Here is what I got:

Fruit:
  • 1 pineapple
  • 1 mini seedless watermelon
  • 6 peaches
  • 7 plums
  • 1 bag of black seedless grapes
  • bunch of 6 XL bananas
Veggies:
  • 7 Ears of sweet corn
  • 3 English cucumbers
  • 1 head green cauliflower
  • 2 tomatoes (looked like home grown heirloom)
  • 1 head leaf lettuce
  • 1 sack (I think 5#) potatoes (I don't know what kind they are, but they are better quality than russets)
I will definitely participate again, it was super easy. I showed up and they checked my name off the list and told me what number I was. I went and there were two bushel baskets with my number, one with the fruit and one with veggies. You have to take your own container to take them home in. I took cloth grocery bags, but a lot of people had laundry baskets which seemed to work better. Everything was good quality and unripe to just ripe. I will be interested to see the quality of the food throughout the winter when foods are not in season. I also did a cost comparison at my grocery store, but haven't calculated it out yet. I will post again when I get that figured out, but I am sure I saved a little money.

MontanaMama2009 replied to sarahann1978's response:
Holy Moses! That's a LOT of fruits and veggies, Sarah!

You'll also have to let us know how good they taste :) They look delish!
Me, DH of 16 years, DD1 (15yo), DD2 (10yo), DD3 (nearly 2), a labrador, a tabby cat, a lop-eared bunny, and goldfish! Life is grand! http://daisyheadmamas.blogspot.com/

sarahaguirre replied to sarahann1978's response:
I'm going to give it a try as well. I also live in Arizona and there's a pick up location about 5 blocks down the street from me. I think they only take orders on Tuesdays and Wednsdays so I'll put my order in tomorrow. I'm excited to give this a try. Thanks!

magsnemma replied to sarahaguirre's response:
I get to put in my order tomorrow as well. I'm really excited to try it all, especially after seeing how much food you got!
Me (32), DH (32), DD (born Nov 2008)

sarahaguirre replied to magsnemma's response:
I'm a little nervous about the quanity. Since there's only three of us and DH hates veggies I'm hoping I can use all of what I get. I'll give it a shot though and see how it goes.

sarahann1978 replied to sarahaguirre's response:
I am currently looking up how to freeze sweet corn after we had some Saturday with grilled chicken, today I made black bean and corn salsa and now I still need to freeze some. I am also trying to figure out what to do with all the cucumber, any ideas?

Spotlight: Member Stories

i am 34 years old, i am married for the second time and have my one and only child lucas,who is 2 years old.dh has 3 teenagers from his previous marri...More

Helpful Tips

How Has Your Marriage Changed?
I'm a veteran mommy...been doing it for 15 years now. But I have a few newbie mommy friends who struggle with how their marriage has ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.