Skip to content
Cherry Perserves!
Brubee posted:
Hi Im bruebee and am a home canner :) I love it! It is hot and tiring but so worth it when you taste what you made and it is actually good. Any hoo, I made my first batch of cherry preserves and they were so good! I used the less sugar pectin and liked it much better than the regular one. I aslo can peaches, pickles and other jams. I was wondering if any of you lovely ladies also can and if so what. Also have you tried the less sugar pectin and did you like it? Thanks!!! ~B~
Me~27 DH~30 DD~20mo. ~l~ 2/1/10 11weeks

sarahann1978 responded:
I can! I made some strawberry jam a month or so ago. I have not tried the lower sugar pectin, I will have to check that out. I have a bunch of pickling cucumbers ready to go so I am searching for a good dill pickle recipe. They always turn out mushy and I hate that. From what I have been reading it looks like the only way to keep them crunchy is to ferment them first. Do you have any good pickle recipes?
Sarah (31), DH(29), DS (Jan. 09) sarahaburger.blogspot.com

Brubee replied to sarahann1978's response:
I have only done the pickles twice. The first time they were super soft and not so pretty. The second time the were a little better but still mushy. I think the key to crunchy pickles is to pickle them as soon as possible. Both times I was a little lazy in proccesing them so they sat on the counter for a couple of days. I get fresh produce from the local farmers market that my Husband volenteers at. Its free (awesome!!) but its the produce that has been passed over. I can't complain though I love it! As far a receipes go I like pickyourown.com . and you can also try your local college extenstion office. I made stawberry jam the other week and used the regular pectin and it was super sweet. My hubs didnt like it so much but my grandpa did. ( I know where I got my Sweet tooth from :) ) Its so awesome that there are moms like us that like to do this forgotten art. Thanks :)

sarah0323 responded:
I haven't tried the lower sugar pectin but I also don't usually make preserves or jellies. I have a cinnamon cucmber ring recipe (taste like the cinnamon apple rings) and apple butter recipe that my family loves. I don't usually can pickles b/c I just can't get them to turn out right. I can a lot of tomatoes, pumpkin, green beans and such with out a recipe. Everyone thinks I'm crazy when I say I'm canning something. So I'm glad to know that I'm not alone in it.
Me 32,DD 11, DS1 6, DS2 4, DS3 3, EDD 11/19/10

Brubee replied to sarah0323's response:
Do you use a pressure canner for your green beans? All the recepies I see say to use one but they are expensive. My hubs likes them better canned than frozen. I love apple butter it is so yummy. Canning is Awesome!

sarahann1978 replied to sarah0323's response:
Yum, I loved home canned tomatoes! I did them a few years ago when I had enough tomatoes from the garden. I would have had enough last summer, but I was way too busy with DS. We get curly top virus (CTV) in out tomato plants pretty regularly where I live and the tomatoes are totally wiped out by it. I still plant them every year in hopes that it won't be a good year for CTV. Last summer I think I only lost one plant to CTV, so I had a ton of tomatoes.

I am not sure about canning cucumbers fast enough. The last time I did it, two summers ago, I picked them, rushed them right into my kitchen, washed them, cut the ends off, soaked in an ice water bath like the recipe said, then processed them and they were complete mush. Just so you know in case you try it with fresher cucumbers. The one thing I did have some success with was bread n butter pickles. They were a little mushier than store bought, but good enough. I might just settle for making those with the cucumbers I have and just buying store bought dills.

I love canning and think the food is far superior!

daisy729 responded:
Can I butt in here and ask a question.

Does the food you can at home taste like canned food from the grocery store? Or do you think it has a better taste when you can it?

sarahann1978 replied to daisy729's response:
I would say it depends.

The tomatoes I have canned are easy and taste fabulous compared to store bought. Plus now with BPA in the liners of canned goods, it's safer to have the glass jar.

I have made different fruit jellies and jams- grape, strawberry, apple butter, and raspberry and thought that all of them were more delicious than store bought. They also have a more liquid texture, I mean they are not runny, but spread on easier than store bought.

The one thing I have not liked better is pickles, see my above post. I have had home canned pickles that were fabulous though. There was an old man in my home town that made the most incredible dill pickles I have ever tasted. He has long since passed away though so I have no idea about how to get his recipe.

I have not tried pressure canning which is what you need for any veggies that are not acidic.

daisy729 replied to sarahann1978's response:
I was curious because I'll be honest, I can't stand the taste of most commercial canned vegetables. And, in my mind, I thought canned was canned, but it sounds like I was very wrong!

I have thought about doing a garden, but you always end up with way more than you can use at once, so canning seems like a no brainer. Is it a lot of work? Is there a lot of up front cost if you want to start?

Brubee replied to daisy729's response:
I think home canned taste way better. I made peaches in light syrup last year and everyone said they were the best they ever had. The jars themselves are inexpensive between $6.50 and 8.50 for a case of twelve. After that you can reuse the jars and rings and just buy the lids. You will need a jar grabber to pull the Jars out of the hot water. Also a jar funnel and lid grabber can be handy. They make sets you can buy. As far as the canner itself, last year I just used my huge spagetti pot.. I got an enamelled steel canner for christmas and I like that alot I think it was $30. You can check online for better prices. Also you can flavor stuff the way you want to. It is really neat.

sarah0323 replied to Brubee's response:
I do use a pressure cooker. I actually have 2 to make it go faster. They are expensive though. One of them that I have was my SO's grandmother's and the other we bought. We put in a huge garden so to me it evens out in the end. I usally can 52 quarts of each kind of veggies. The only veggies I don't can is corn & zucchinni but I do freeze them though.
Me 32,DD 11, DS1 6, DS2 4, DS3 3, EDD 11/19/10

Brubee replied to sarah0323's response:
That is wonderfull! I live an apartment so no garden for me. Im sure the plants are happy.... I kinda kill them :( . Im sure it is much more cost effective since you can make so much at one time. You probably dont have to buy canned veggies ever! That is so cool :)

sarahann1978 replied to daisy729's response:
To add to what was already said, I would start with boiling water bath canning which is what Brubee and I do. With this method you can only do things that are high in sugar or very acidic as that is what helps kill harmful bacteria. I would follow a proven recipe such as those in the book "Ball Blue Book of Home Food Preservation" or I like the website:
http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/index.html

That site has a ton of info about home food preservation, and tested recipes so you might start there.

Then if you like it try a pressure cooker.

Another great food preservation method besides freezing is dehydration. I love to dehydrate food from my garden. Before I had a cheapo I got at a yard sale and it gave out on me last year, but I am in the market for a new one. It's really simple to throw the food in there and a day or two later put it in containers to go in the pantry. You can even do different veggies and make your own soup mixes to just add water to in the winter time. You can also dry fruit for snacks and things which I love.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Alicia-29 DH-28 DD-6-2-08 DS-11-08-09 We loosely follow attachment parenting and I love it! We live in southern Vermont where we are always outside pl...More

Helpful Tips

And They Slept Happily Ever After (By Johnson's)
I really liked this site. I forget sometimes that it would be SO relaxing to have a warm, soothing bath, then a calm, warming nighttime ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.