Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I made my own laundry detergent
KCAimee posted:
Last month I switched to an earth friendlier laundry detergent and decided to try my hand at making it myself. I made some on Sunday and was shocked at how easy it was......and how cheap!!! Here is the recipe I used:

3 cups grated Fels Naptha soap ( 1 1/2 bars. found this in laundry aisle...is a laundry/stain bar)
1 1/2 c washing soda (also found in laundry aisle)
1 1/2 c borax (same)

My Wal Mart only had the borax but I found the Fels Naptha and washing soda at my local grocery store.

I stored it in a ziploc bag. The recipe said use 1 tablespoon per load for light dirt. I've been using 1 1/2 tablespoons. Did a few loads on Sunday and no big problem with stains (beyond what I usually have).

It takes getting used to because there is no smell on the clothes when they come out but they smell clean. I also use vinegar in my fabric softener thing and like it. This is also a low sudsing detergent so it is safe for front loaders and HE machines.

I think that all in all the detergent cost about $2 to make (have tons of borax and washing soda left for next batches) so I'm hoping I will keep loving it! I did buy some fragrance oils to add for a scent (even with the scent the clothes come out smelling like nothing...but the detergent smells nice) but the fels naptha has a nice smell so I didn't use the oils.

gemini5324 responded:
Thanks for the recipe! I am just about out of laundry soap & was debating trying my own. What is the brand of washing soda? Is is like arm & hammer baking soda or something else?
Megan, Kevin, Gabe

sarahaguirre responded:
If you happen to use this on CD's let me know. I'll be running out of my all natural soap and was wondering what to use next.

KCAimee responded:
Gemini...it is not baking soda....it it is made by arm and hammer but it is a yellow box.

Sarah...I have big box of Tide that I'm using up on my CD's so I don't think I'll get to use it on my diapers....I might try it though to see how it does!

Here is the site I used:
http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Make-Homemade-Laundry-Detergent

MontanaMama2009 responded:
Aimee,

I, too, have made my own laundry detergent. It was very cheap to make.

1 bar of soap (grated)
1 cup Borax
3 cups baking soda

I used Ivory soap, which does leave a nice scent behind. No sudsing whatsoever, which was weird, but clothes came out very clean.

I used this on Nettie's cds (short time since she potty-trained a few loads after I made this) and she didn't have a problem.

I haven't heard of fels naptha, but I'm sure that would be an even better alternative to the bar of soap.

In the end, I bought "Method," all-natural products. It's a pump bottle, so I pump it 4 times for a regular load of laundry, and 6 times for heavily soiled or extra-large loads. And then I purchased all-natural dryer sheets, as well.

But I still have that leftover box of Borax (which I clean sinks with), and a HUGE box of baking soda...which gets rid of toilet bowl stains.
Me, DH of 16 years, DD1 (15yo), DD2 (10yo), DD3 (nearly 2), a labrador, a tabby cat, a lop-eared bunny, and goldfish! Life is grand! http://daisyheadmamas.blogspot.com/

MontanaMama2009 replied to MontanaMama2009's response:
I think I mixed up the recipe a bit...I'd have to go home and double-check...
Me, DH of 16 years, DD1 (15yo), DD2 (10yo), DD3 (nearly 2), a labrador, a tabby cat, a lop-eared bunny, and goldfish! Life is grand! http://daisyheadmamas.blogspot.com/

KCAimee replied to MontanaMama2009's response:
YEah, the fels naptha is an actual laundry bar and stain remover so I thought that would work great. Here's what it looks like: http://www.felsnaptha.com/

I saw on the borax box that it is good for washing all kinds of things.

It did take me a bit to get used to the no suds...but they say the suds don't do any cleaning. Kind of like taking a bath vs a bubble bath. The bubbles don't clean you :)

katieb426 responded:
You might have convinced me to try it, Aimee. So it is cheaper than using a store brand? We use ALL and get it at Sam's. But I'm all for saving money. I don't care much about scent either. We dry lots of our laundry outside and there is no comparison to that scent!

sarahann1978 responded:
I used to use the Fels Naptha on diaper blow outs when DS was BF, you know the liquid yellow mustard poops. It took stains out wonderfully. I would be interested to try to make it into detergent, I bet it does a good job.
Sarah (31), DH(29), DS (Jan. 09) sarahaburger.blogspot.com

gemini5324 replied to KCAimee's response:
I add borax to all my laundry- it works kind of like Oxiclean, but is more eco-friendly. It does great for stains as well if you make it into a paste & apply directly to the stain.
Megan, Kevin, Gabe

KCAimee replied to katieb426's response:
You can do it Katie!!!! It was so stinkin easy. The Fels Naptha was about $1.20 per bar and I used 1 1/2 bars in 1 batch. I don't recall the price on the borax or the washing soda but they were both cheap. Definitely under $4 for each and you only use 1 1/2 cup per batch (which is suposed to do 90 loads) so there is a ton for more batches. So, I would estimate it to be $2.50-$3 cost for 90 loads worth.....so much cheaper!!!

KCAimee replied to gemini5324's response:
I'll have to try adding it directly to the stain. If I have a tough stain I usually make a paste of detergent and let it set on there and I have great luck with that.

jlc78 responded:
Alright. You might have convinced me to try it too. I'm almost out of detergent and need to buy some anyway. Maybe I'll give it a shot!
Me (31) DH (33) and our 2 beautiful babes DS (6/07) and DD (9/08)

KCAimee replied to jlc78's response:
Yay!!! You can do it! If you use this recipe just make sure to get washing soda and not baking soda. I'm loving it so far!!!

Spotlight: Member Stories

Me, DH, three girls, two labs, one tabby cat, 20 guppies and a baby lop-eared bunny.

Helpful Tips

Natural Cleaning Products
VINEGAR: Mix 1 part water to 1 part vinegar. Works as a natural deodorizer AND disinfectant! Safe on most surfaces and incredibly ... More
Was this Helpful?
18 of 35 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.