Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Tofu?
katieb426 posted:
I've never actually bought tofu, but I was wondering if any of you would share some recipies. Would it be something good to put in the kids' lunch boxes this coming school year? Would it have to be kept cold? Any tips would be helpful. I'm not even sure if my kids would eat it, but I'm wanting to try.

Thanks! :)

gemini5324 responded:
I like fried tofu- its delicious. However, I HATE cold tofu. It has a funny consistency when cold & can be really gross. I use tofu in Asian & Indian recipies in substitute for meat a lot. When you give it a good pan fry in cubes, it comes out crispy & yummy. My kids like it this way, but havent had it any other way (that I know of)
Megan, Kevin, Gabe

cheeezie25 responded:
I really enjoy tofu! There are lots of great ways to use tofu, and there are many different types of tofu that you can eat.

One of the easiest things to do with it is make a tofu scramble, which is basically scrambled eggs with veggies and cheese w/ the tofu in place of the eggs. The consistancy is almost exactly the same as scrambled eggs. Lots of protein, much less fat and cholesterol.

It is also really easy to marinade and bake. I did a ginger soy marinade once, and it was pretty yummy. Tofu in and of itself doesn't have a flavor, so it really easily absorbs whatever flavor you give it. I've also cubed it and thrown it into stirfrys with some sauce (although more marinading = more flavor).

We also buy alot of prepackaged baked tofu just because it is so quick and easy to make. You can get tons of flavors too... carribean, asian, smoked, savory, etc. I usually just slice it length wise and then in half to get four more slender pieces, and then fry it in a little olive oil for a few minutes on both sides until it is a little crispy on the outside. I swear, it is really yummy!

In terms of including it in your kids lunch boxes, I think it would be difficult to include it as a separate item, especially if it cannot be heated up. However, I did make a veggie and tofu pasta dish last Friday that actually tasted really good the next day unheated. The tofu was crumbled up pretty finely and almost disappeared as a sauce, so it worked really well as a cold leftover. I think it would be able to work in a lunchbox as long as it was a part of a bigger dish.

katieb426 replied to cheeezie25's response:
Thank you! Those are some helpful tips. I guess I need to just get some and try it out. Sounds like it won't work well in the lunchboxes, but I'll still see if the kids like it for lunches at home.

cheeezie25 replied to katieb426's response:
Just as a tip, the regular unbaked tofu and the prebaked tofu have totally different consistancies. I think some people are put off by the consistency of unbaked tofu (it is very spongy), so you might be better off starting off with the flavored prebaked tofu to get your family interested in trying more, at least if you plan on making it as a stand alone dish at dinner.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Living in the desert with a husband, a toddler, and a black lab.

Helpful Tips

And They Slept Happily Ever After (By Johnson's)
I really liked this site. I forget sometimes that it would be SO relaxing to have a warm, soothing bath, then a calm, warming nighttime ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.