Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Eating "Clean"
MontanaMama2009 posted:
Ever heard of this?

It's basically just eating healthy...but with a twist.
In a nutshell, eating clean is the practice of eating whole, natural foods such as fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and complex carbohydrates. It also means staying away from the junk that typically makes up the Standard American Diet (S.A.D) These types of food include man-made sugar, bad fats (hydrogenated, trans-fat), preservatives, white bread, and any other ingredients that are unnecessary. An easy way to remember if a food is clean is: "if man made it, don't eat it."

http://eatingcleanworks.com/what-is-eating-clean.html
Me, DH of 16 years, DD1 (15yo), DD2 (10yo), DD3 (nearly 2), a labrador, a tabby cat, a lop-eared bunny, and goldfish!  Life is grand!  http://daisyheadmamas.blogspot.com/

gemini5324 responded:
We are doing this now. I buy mostly bulk grains like rice, couscous, bulgar, spelt, flax, beans, flours etc from the store and make the vast majority of our food (at least breakfast & dinners) from scratch. My daughter has never tasted white bread (unless it was homemade) and I intend to keep it that way. We push all sorts of foods on the kids that I would never have thought to eat when I was little. My son loves fennel & eggplant & DD likes mushrooms & broccoli.

The main thing we stay away from in our house is corn syrup (high fructose mainly). DH has started checking labels when he shops & won't buy an item if it has HFCS. Score!

Right now, my biggest issues are lunch & snacks to send with DS for school. They can't heat up foods and sandwiches get boring. Any tips for packable clean foods?
Megan, Kevin, Gabe

MontanaMama2009 replied to gemini5324's response:
We did wraps instead of bread for the older girls.

* chopped cucumber
* chopped tomatoes
* onion
* olives
* broccoli
* raisins
* spinach leaves
* hard-boiled egg
* other such stuff
* topped off with olive oil and seasoning dressings (but sometimes plain ol' Ranch, too, which isn't so good for you, I know)

* cold chix breast with salad

* chix salad sandwiches made with organic mayo

* cold homemade pizza on wheat dough

* yogurt and fresh fruit/veggie plate

(Just for variety from plain old sandwiches)
Me, DH of 16 years, DD1 (15yo), DD2 (10yo), DD3 (nearly 2), a labrador, a tabby cat, a lop-eared bunny, and goldfish! Life is grand! http://daisyheadmamas.blogspot.com/

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi! I'm Beth (25). I have an 8 month old daughter named Olivia and I came to this board to learn more about living a healthier greener lifestyle. ...More

Helpful Tips

And They Slept Happily Ever After (By Johnson's)
I really liked this site. I forget sometimes that it would be SO relaxing to have a warm, soothing bath, then a calm, warming nighttime ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.