Skip to content
Pick 5 for the Environment
MontanaMama2009 posted:
Being an environmentalist means different things in different places. By choosing five or more of these actions and sharing your stories, you CAN make a positive difference for the environment. Join with others around the world today to take the small actions that will add up to make the biggest difference. Are you ready?

What can you do? Pick 5 actions for the world! Choose a category to begin.

http://www.epa.gov/pick5/
Me, DH of 16 years, DD1 (15yo), DD2 (10yo), DD3 (nearly 2), a labrador, a tabby cat, a lop-eared bunny, and goldfish!  Life is grand!  http://daisyheadmamas.blogspot.com/

MontanaMama2009 responded:
Here's what I chose: (It's quite a bit...but as y'all know, I'm passionate about this!)

To help protect the environment, I pledge to:
  1. Use only the water you need, and reuse when possible.
  2. Help keep water clean by using biodegradable and environmentally friendly cleaning products.
  3. Dispose of solid and liquid wastes and medications safely.
  4. Protect your local water source from pollutants, excess pesticides and garbage.
  5. Make sure your home's air is healthy, learn about indoor air pollutants from indoor energy use and toxins. With the right house plants you can even improve indoor air quality.
  6. Buy locally, or grow your own! Reduce air pollution caused by food and goods transport.
  7. Plant a tree. Or plant many trees!
  8. Prevent additional air pollution by finding alternatives to burning your waste.
  9. Use pesticides safely! Reduce or eliminate where possible.
  10. Learn about composting, try it out!
  11. Learn about 'Greenscaping'! Try it out at home and promote it in your community.
  12. Learn about the native species and the negative effects of non native plants and animals in the environment. Plant native species in your gardens, encourage important pollinators such as bees and birds by planting gardens full of their favorite plants. Join a team in your community that removes non-native species.
  13. Save energy at home. Choose energy-saving appliances if they're available. Look for Energy Star!
  14. Reduce. Cut back on the amount of 'stuff' that could later end up as waste.
  15. Reuse. Upcycle! Take something that is disposable and transform it into something of greater use and value.
  16. Recycle metals, plastics and paper.
  17. E-cycle. Recycle and/or properly dispose of electronic waste such as computers and other gadgets.
  18. Don't litter! Properly dispose of trash and waste.
  19. When purchasing goods, opt for sustainable, recycled or reused resources. Choose items in less packaging.
  20. Participate in a local environmental festival or event.
  21. Talk to a friend about Pick5!
  22. Share your commitment on social networking sites.
  23. Join or start a green club in your community.
  24. Bring environmental education to your local schools and community.
  25. Raise Awareness! Talk to others about the state of the environment, locally or globally.
Pledged Friday, August 27, 2010
Me, DH of 16 years, DD1 (15yo), DD2 (10yo), DD3 (nearly 2), a labrador, a tabby cat, a lop-eared bunny, and goldfish! Life is grand! http://daisyheadmamas.blogspot.com/

Spotlight: Member Stories

i am 34 years old, i am married for the second time and have my one and only child lucas,who is 2 years old.dh has 3 teenagers from his previous marri...More

Helpful Tips

And They Slept Happily Ever After (By Johnson's)
I really liked this site. I forget sometimes that it would be SO relaxing to have a warm, soothing bath, then a calm, warming nighttime ... More
Was this Helpful?
11 of 22 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.