Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Pain and swelling after dental implant
An_224191 posted:
It has been 10 days since my two dental implants on the lower jaw. This included bone grafting. Immediately afterward, as soon as novacaine wore off, and ever since, I have been in intense pain and swelling is still not completely gone. I am now on celebrex to try and relieve the pain. Dentist looked at site and says healing not as good as expected but no explanation as to pain. What could be wrong? Everything I have read indicates little if any pain after dental implant.

Zev Kaufman, DDS responded:
Dear Anon_141809:
You are correct. There is typically, and surprisingly, very little discomfort associated with dental implants. However, most grafting procedures DO generate pain. The problem when procedures are combined, one does not know which procedure is generating pain.
Typically, in the atypical situation when there is pain after implant surgery, the reason is usually a surgical complication (burning of the bone cells while drilling) or an infection. If the pain persists after two weeks, I just go ahead and remove the implant, wait 6-8 weeks and place a new one. The pain goes away right away.
With grafting the issue is different. If the healing is proceeding properly, then give the body a chance... If it is not proceeding properly and is infected, the graft should just be removed. It is better to let the site heal and re-graft at a later date.
At this point in time, you should have the surgical site examined by a qualified oral surgeon, periodontist, or a prosthodontist with surgical training and allow the expert to help you make the right decisions.
Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

An_224192 replied to Zev Kaufman, DDS's response:
Thank you so much for your help.
It has given me a possible answer.
As it turns out, my implant doctor is a periodontist and although she is very concerned, she is acting as though she doesn't know what is causing this. Should I seek help from an oral surgeon?

Zev Kaufman, DDS replied to An_224192's response:
It never hurts to get a a second opinion. You cannot go on with pain and in order to treat pain, one must ascertain the cause.
Ask your dentist to refer you to someone who SHE trusts. This way the whole process is non-confrontational and beneficial for all.
Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

sinus trouble in my teeth
need info on sinus that have gotten into my teeth i went to the dentist this week and my dentist told me about this and i have never heard ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website