Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
U.S. Wants to Reduce Fluoride in Drinking Water
Amelia_WebMD_Staff posted:
Do you know how much fluoride is in your drinking water? How much should you and your family be getting? No need for panic, but you might just want to reevaluate.

The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) have recommended this year that the level of fluoride in U.S. drinking water supplies should be lowered to prevent dental problems. "The HHS is recommending that water supplies contain 0.7 milligrams of fluoride per liter of water, replacing the current recommended range of 0.7 to 1.2 milligrams."

While fluoride helps to fight tooth decay, "excess fluoride consumption during the tooth -forming years in children age 8 and younger may lead to dental fluorosis, a condition in which teeth can become streaked or spotty due to excess fluoride."

Take a moment to read more about how and why the U.S. Wants to Reduce Fluoride in Drinking Water . We must look out for our little ones' teeth and health, even when it comes to their source of water.
Best Wishes!
Amelia

Take the Poll

How much fluoride is in your drinking water?
  • MORE than 0.7 milligrams of fluoride per liter of water
  • The RECOMMENDED 0.7 milligrams of fluoride per liter of water
  • LESS than 0.7 milligrams of fluoride per liter of water
  • I don't know, but will be calling our local water municipality.
  • I don't know and am not at all concerned.
vote
View Poll Results

Zev Kaufman, DDS responded:
to our dear community:
It is incredibly important to remember that, before you "run" to your local municiality and start a campain against the evils of fluoride, fluoridation of water has produced a generation of cavity-free kids. It is the ONE, public health, meaure that has proven to give us an ammazing return for investment. When you look at the "good" that has been produced by the fluoridation of water, in terms of drastic reduction in the rate of caries, and financial burden of treating tooth decay, having some minor white spots on teeth is a very small price to pay.
The most important thing we, as parents, can do is to take our little ones to the pediatric dentist as soon as the first tooth erupts into the oral cavity. It will start a proper, good relationship with the dentist which is crucial to a healthy life.
Keep on brushing,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Rash on lips
I just noticed a bunch of tiny white bumps on my top lip. They are white, not clear, about the size of a pin point, and don't seem like ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website