Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
discoloring of my lips
An_224245 posted:
I looked in teh mirror tonight and on the bottom lip on the left and right sides my lip appears almost a purple grey color. Any idea what is going on?

Andie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon,

We'd need a little more information to go on to help find you some resources.

Were you recently injured in any way? Did you drink or eat anything with food dye in it? Is there any pain, itching or swelling involved? How long has this been going on?

Hope you've found some answers already, but please let us know how you're doing and provide us a little more detail.

Thanks!

~Andie

julieohio replied to Andie_WebMD_Staff's response:
10 months ago Anon had a question about blue lips you were going to answer but need more info. The corners of my bottom lips were bluish purple. I use to drink a ton of alcohol but this did not occur until 2 years after I quit drinking I have also had a siezure in 2007. Due to my many years of drinking my teeth are suffering. I recently had a wisdom tooth and 3 molers extracted I didnt realize how blue my lips were until they went back to normal. My right eyelid was not matching my left eyelid and I was in severe pain due to my teeth but since my oral surgery my eye and lips have gone back to normal. Can you give me some idea why this happened there was no swelling or itching I just remembered driving in a car with my mom and her asking why my lips were blue and they stayed that way until I had my teeth removed for about a year. Yes I neglected my teeth due to financial reasons but am taking care of them now

Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP replied to julieohio's response:
Hi julieohio,

I wish I could give you a simple answer but I can't.

Unfortunately this is the kind of situation that requires an actual "face to face" with a patient. I would need to see the blue discoloration as well as get more background information before I could direct you in a way that would be beneficial.

There are many reasons oral mucosa can show discoloration but it is impossible to provide actual guidance without seeing you in person.

I am glad that you are taking care of your teeth and hope that you remain healthy and pain free.

Dr. Gwen Cohen Brown

julieohio replied to Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP's response:
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question all I know is it had nothing to due with lack of oxygen my breathing is fine it was just the bottom corners of my lips about this far -------on each side but as soon as my molars were pulled they went back to normal wierd thx again Julie

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

sinus trouble in my teeth
need info on sinus that have gotten into my teeth i went to the dentist this week and my dentist told me about this and i have never heard ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website