Skip to content
Dry patch in the middle of my tongue.
An_224246 posted:
I have been having a real dry mouth lately. I have tried over the counter
products but nothing seems to be working. Now it is generally in the middle of my tongue. It feels like rough leather.

Can you help me????

Andie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Anon and welcome to the Oral Health Community!

According to this Dry Mouth slideshow , lack of saliva causes the skin in and around the mouth to become dry and tight. Your lips may become cracked, and sores might form at the corners of your mouth. Your tongue can feel rough and dry as well.

There are several causes of dry mouth , also called xerostomia, such as the side effects of certain medications or treatments, dehydration, and lifestyle.

If you think your dry mouth is caused by certain medication you are taking, talk to your doctor. He or she may adjust the dose you are taking or switch you to a different drug that doesn't cause dry mouth.

In addition, an oral rinse to restore mouth moisture may be prescribed.

Other steps you can take that may help improve saliva flow include:
  • Sucking on sugar-free candy or chewing sugar-free gum
  • Drinking plenty of water to help keep your mouth moist
  • Protecting your teeth by brushing with a fluoride toothpaste, using a fluoride rinse, and visiting your dentist regularly
  • Breathing through your nose, not your mouth, as much as possible
  • Using a room vaporizer to add moisture to the bedroom air
  • Using an over-the-counter artificial saliva substitute.

Try some of these ideas to see if it alleviates the issue some. Let us know how you're doing and if you've found any relief or not.

Good luck!!

~Andie

donna1524 responded:
I have this problem to day. and this week.
How did yours go away

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Rash on lips
I just noticed a bunch of tiny white bumps on my top lip. They are white, not clear, about the size of a pin point, and don't seem like ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website