Skip to content
very scared
nic14120 posted:
Iam 32 yrs old,recently had my 2nd. At 8 months, during a bad cold, I noticed (after looking at my throat) a flesh colored very tiny pea size bump right above my right tonsil. Since Feb this has remained, has not grown up or down in size, doesn't bother me at all. I have no other symptoms, no history of sore throats, and still have my tonsils. I have an appt with an ENT tomorrow, but looking for some sort of reassurance as everthing online talks about tonsil cancer. Could an abscess grow and remain there and be flesh colored. No other color to it, it would blend if it weren't for it being round. Any info to make me feel better at all, please?

Andie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Nic,

Welcome to the Oral Health community and thanks for sharing what you're going through.

I'm glad to hear you're gong to see an ENT today, and sorry I didn't see this until today. How did things go?

This article on swollen glands and other lumps under the skin may give you some good information to consider besides the worst case scenario of cancer.

Here is some information on Laryngeal Cancer (throat cancer) which may answer some questions like, some of the symptoms, what kind of tests will need to be done to determine malignancy, etc.

Several different kinds of cancer can involve different parts of the throat and mouth. Michael Douglas says he has a walnut-sized tumor at the base of his tongue. If that's truly where his cancer started, he likely has oropharyngeal cancer.

Oropharyngeal cancer may involve the base of the tongue, the tonsils and surrounding tissues, the soft palate, or the front and back walls of the throat. There is a new laser therapy for early stages of throat cancer that you might ask about if it does turn out to be that.

Please let us know how your appointment went, what you found out, and if you have any more questions. I hope this helped a little bit!

~Andie

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Dentures and implantsExpert
Technically speaking, a denture is any prosthetic use to replace a partial, or a complete dentition. It can be fixed (permanent), such as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website