Sharp Protrusion Through the Gums..
sardopsycho posted:
Today I visited my dentist due to a sharp protrusion on the inner lower right side of my mouth near the back molar and causing severe gum irritation. It was visible, but nothing abnormal showed up on the x-ray. So my dentist numbed me up, and did some initial exploration. There was definately something bony sticking up through the gum right next to my back molar. He proceeded to pull back the gum tissue to do more aggressive exploration. He described it as "like a little head of cauliflower on the smooth part of the bone". He managed to remove a portion of it and smooth it out and let me know it will heal up but if it acts up again, let us know immediately. He mentioned that it looked benine, which scared the hell out of me considering that I never though something like that would happen, and he mentioned that he has seen plenty of nasty photos of sarcoma and this looked nothing like it. The office manager gave me my instructions and mentioned that they were sending the piece they removed for biopsy - so now I am freaking out...any thoughts? I could really use some comfort or some idea of what this might be - the doctor did not seem to be concerned at all; if that is the case, why do a biopsy on the removed piece? *sigh* Great way to start the weekend.....

_swank_ responded:
Doctors do biopsies on pretty much anything foreign that they remove from our bodies. it's standard procedure. Better to be safe than sorry.

db2kp responded:
If you really think about it....why not do a biopsy while he has your gum flapped? You'll have peace of mind in knowing that the area of concern is just fine.

At our office, we do a biopsy when we perform a surgical procedure in the mouth. 99.9% come back benign.

jonrf responded:
I too, just now discovered something quite identical to your description, a hard protrusion of some type of dense tissue which seems to almost have grown outwards and is irritating the surrounding gum tissue near the jaw close to of one of my 2nd molars. It's painful to touch and feels like a thin spindle or some hard growth fused deep into my upper lower jaw. I had to shine an extremely bright light and pull back my lips and cheek and I could see it in the mirror quite well. And I was horrified to see a painful small bump emanating from my gum.

Here's what I thought... these are some of my theories.. The fact that it seems rather secure and deeply rooted into or near enough to have osteoblasts fuse into it, or some sore of benign bone cancer or some sort of human mechanism to draw infection away from the tooth as it nearly abscessed a few weeks back.. In my case, the site of my sudden dismay is my 2nd molar on my left side of my lower jaw. At first I feared some sort of cancer, but the correlation between an bacterial infection and the protrusive growth seems important to my thinking and now seriously hoping it is benign, and true, in observation it does not look like a aggressive sarcoma which I can now take some comfort. But when you think you have cancer or could have cancer, it does concern and frightens me. The growth is indeed benign but genetic in origin and the tooth decay may have directly resulted in a small genetic flaw of some rare sort... I frankly can just spin ideas in my head but I am hoping someone is familiar with this.

I seriously want to know "what" exactly *is* this painful disease. I just noticed mine about 30 minutes ago as I thought my tooth was in pain until I could tell that the pain in the area was from the needle-like protrusion.

Any help or any more on this would help me greatly. Seriously would be both be thankful and appreciative and hoping someone sees this before I call the local private hospital, or so I know not to panic

Andie_WebMD_Staff replied to jonrf's response:
Hi Jonrf,

Welcome to the Oral Health Community and thanks for looking to us for support. I hope we can help!

However, , no one responds anymore to this very old post. To get a reply, please post your question as a new Discussion. You can do that by clicking on the orange Post Now button above, then choose "Discussion".

Sorry for the delay to get you answers, but this way more eyes will see it and you'll have a better chance of getting more replies.

Thanks for understanding,

~Andie

adityabhola responded:
I'm facing exactly the same problem and am in the same situation. Freaked out. Could you please tell me what it was found to be for you, and what was the course of treatment followed? How are you doing now?

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to adityabhola's response:
Hi Adityabhola and welcome to WebMD,

You happen to be responding a very old thread and I don't believe the original poster is still looking in here.

I encourage you to start a new discussion on the board with your situation so our experts have a chance to find it and respond.

To do that, hold your cursor over the orange Post Now button and choose 'Discussion' from the drop down menu which appears. Fill in the subject line and body of the message (you can ignore the poll part if you want) and Submit.

And while you're waiting for responses, I hope you also make an appointment with your dentist.
We never touch people so lightly that we do not leave a trace. ~Peggy Tabor Millin