Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Orange Tongue?
ablx3 posted:
About a month ago I had dental work done. A few days after that I noticed an orange tint to the back of my tongue. A coincidence it may very well be?. It is not painful nor sore. In the evenings it is the worse with the orange coating. I can brush some of it off with my tooth brush. It has no smell. In the mornings it seems less orange and can not be brushed off. With my dental work I needed no antibiotics and I did not take anything for the work, but some Advil. I do not drink nor eat anything with a lot of natural or artificial orange coloring. I have not been on antibiotics in the past year. I am very puzzled by this and no one seems to have an answer no matter where I look. Even my GP was puzzled and prescribed me a mouth wash to treat for a fungus. It has done nothing to help. Does anyone out there have a solid answer as to why a persons tongue would become orange? Other than the guesses that I have listed above that is clearly not the culprit. Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP responded:
Hi ablx3,
Sorry to hear you have been having a problem with an orange tint to your tongue, I am glad that it is not painful. I am curious as to what procedure you had done at the dental office and if you contacted your dentist as well as your GP to see if they had ever had a patient who responded to treatment like this before. In general if there is a response to dental work it tends to be immediate, patients may develop swelling, burning or itching around the treated area, however there is rarely a delay of a few days. Unfortunately I do not have a good reason for the orange discoloration. I would strongly suggest that you go back to basics for a while, stop any mouth rinses, use a simple tooth paste - not whitening, or even "all natural" tooth pastes as sometimes people have allergic responses to the oils used in preparation of the tooth paste - drink plenty of eater and see if it resolves at all. I hope this helps,
Dr. Gwen Cohen Brown

An_245260 responded:

I've had the same issue without any good advice from MD's, some even asking me if I've eaten anything orange"026HELLO, IM NOT THAT STUPID!!!!!!

Here is what I did and it WORKED!

I agree that its some kind of bacteria or fungi so the first thing I did was check my PH....sure enough it was below 5.0 when it should be at least 7.0, all kinds of nasty stuff can grow in your body when your PH is low (more Acidic). I assume this has more to do with diet than anything else but I can't confirm that.

So I did 3 things that fixed the issue and it has not returned 1)I purchased AlkaMax alkaline support tablets and started taking 2 twice a day, 2) I started taking Grapefruit seed extract and Grape seed extract (best when mixed with grapefruit juice as it tastes awful this kills all the bad bacteria in your body and preserves the good bacteria, and 3) stopped eating sugar, sugar seemed to stimulate the growth of the orange monster in my mouth"026

Since I started this regimen I haven't had any other issues with an Orange Tongue and 'Im happy its gone! Give it a try and see if it helps you!!!

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Rash on lips
I just noticed a bunch of tiny white bumps on my top lip. They are white, not clear, about the size of a pin point, and don't seem like ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website