Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Bottom of my tongue hurts
An_224269 posted:
Hi!

My tongue really hurts when I move it side to side or up and down. I can't run my tongue over my teeth without pain. It feels like the pain's coming from that little line of connector tissue that runs from my tongue to the base of my mouth. When I lift my tongue up and look at it, it doesn't appear to be discolored at all and I don't think it seems swollen. I'm not doing anything different in my dental routine except that I've started using an electric toothbrush for the first time. Is this something that I should worry about?

Zev Kaufman, DDS responded:
Dear Anon_178720:
I hope that by now the pain in your tongue has gone away. It sounds as if you have strained your tongue. Don't forget that the tongue is a muscle and as such, it can be over-worked.
Take it easy for a few days. Use the electric tooth brush in a soft, proper manner. If the sensation does not go away in a few days,. please go and see your dentist.
Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Dentures and implantsExpert
Technically speaking, a denture is any prosthetic use to replace a partial, or a complete dentition. It can be fixed (permanent), such as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website