Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Tongue Problem
An_224272 posted:
A few weeks ago, I felt a bump on the underside of my tongue, but didn't think anything of it -- until now. It has grown into a small bubble in the center of my tongue. It is clear inside, from what I can tell. It protrudes from my tongue about 1/4 of a centimeter. Here's a photo to give a better idea of what it looks like:

Anyone ever seen something like this before? Please help!

Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP responded:
Dear Anon_182011,
Sorry to hear you have been having a problem with a bump on the underside of your tongue. To answer your question "has anyone ever seen something like this before" I can answer yes! As a Dentist with a specialty in Oral and Maxillo-facial Pathology I have seen many patients who present with similar clinical findings.

Although I cannot give you a specific diagnosis, the history and clinical description you provide along with the photo you submitted are suggestive of a mucocele - sort of a "water balloon" involving a minor salivary gland. Although mucoceles are benign (non-cancer) you should see an oral surgeon to have it evaluated and possibly removed as they don't often go away on there own.

Mucocele can occur anywhere in the mouth, however they most often occur on the lower lip. You might want to look at this web posting from the NIH on Mucoceles: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001639.htm

I hope this helps!
Dr. Gwen Cohen Brown

plazadental replied to Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP's response:
The shared image confirms that It's a mucocele. (AKA blocked salivary gland). They're nasty and are very annoying. But there is nothing to worry as they will go away on their own. You can also get it checked with oral surgeon, they can remove it.

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Bone loss in gums
If you are experiencing bone loss in the gums and their is no pathology, What can be done to stop bone loss. More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website