Includes Expert Content
Wisdom Teeth Extraction
Anon_228692 posted:
I got all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed last wednesday,I can chew solid food,95% of the swelling is gone.There is no more bleeding,the stitches are quite prominent. Earlier today the part of the gum that you would floss that you see in the middle your teeth when you smile (gingiva) has partially lifted off of my tooth. The doctor stitched that area but I guess the stitch became loose while i was eating or brushing my teeth. I noticed it after I was finished eating & getly using my tongue to feel around my teeth to make sure no food was getting stuck in my teeth,i felt that part of the gum & i felt that with my tongue it was loose & no longer pressed up against the side of my tooth. I made an appointment with my dentist but i wont be able to see him until next week.My penecillin ran out yesterday, the intructions say to do 5 saltwater rinses daily.What should I do until then?Can I still eat?Can it be fixed & am I at higher risk for an infection?Im so frightened.

Zev Kaufman, DDS responded:
Dear Anon_228692: Do not worry. This is totally normal. The papilla (the tissue between the teeth) is just swallen. The best thing to do at this point is to brush your teeth gently and well. You can rinse with salt water several times a day, but the best thing to do, by far, is proper oral hygiene. Go in for a proper follow up visit with your dentist, but so far, from your description, the healing is proceeding well. Best wishes, Dr. Zev Kaufman Brush your teeth.

plazadental responded:
This all is normal Anon, Nothing to worried about. The just got swollen after the surgery. It will take some time to come to the normal. The only thing you need to do is eat soften food that might not harsh papilla and use gentle message with brush.Rest is well!