Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Root Canal not working!
Anon_229687 posted:
Hello,
I had a root canal 4 wks ago and again a couple of weeks later for the same tooth by a very reputable endodontic doctor. After being done twice I was still experiencing pain and was put on amoxicillian for a week, then keflex, then cipro and finally a metrol (steroid) for 6 days. Nothing has worked and the pain has returned to almost unbearable now. I am at my wits end and I believe my doctor is too, should I just have the tooth pulled, what else can be done??? I need some relief from pain, living on tylenol, vicodin for almost 6 weeks now. Been reading horror stories about root canals gone bad, well I am one of those patients and am in dire need of some help!

Zev Kaufman, DDS responded:
Dear Anon_220687: I was just directed to your question by my trusty moderator. I hope that by now you have gotten some relief from the pain, and better yet, that you have obtained a DIAGNOSIS for your situation. I receive many questions online where people suffer from pain, medication and treatment is rendered, but the true reason for the situation is unknown. Since you have a good relationship with your dentist, ask him to direct you to a colleague whom he trusts for a second opinion. Look for a fracture in an adjacent tooth, or possibly an opposing tooth. A cone Beam CT scan might help with a closer look at the offending tooth and its neighbors. Sometimes it is a different tooth that is giving the problem. I know it has been two weeks since you have posted the question and I am curious as to the reason for your pain and the solution. Please let us know what transpires. Best of luck, Dr. Zev Kaufman

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

WebMD doesn't document EMG for diagnosing TMD
Why are WebMD's informational articles on TMD a couple of years old and don't even mention EMG? Even wikipedia calls it the most reliable ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 7 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website