Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
What are your worst dental habits?
Andie_WebMD_Staff posted:
Teeth are tough -- their enamel is the hardest part of the body -- but they're no match for neglect, misuse, or abuse. How do you change bad dental habits?

I'm a teeth grinder. I can't stand it, but I do it without thinking. When I wake up in the morning it's like prying my jaws apart from grinding all night, which can really wear my teeth down.

What are your worst dental habits and how have you found ways to change them?

RicRatCat responded:
My worst dental habit is simple neglect. I am currently working on rectifying my deficiency but have a long way to go. Unfortunately, my teeth hurt because of cavities and I noticed that the pain some-what subsides after brushing so necessity is forming a better oral routine. Hopefully it'll last.

Andie_WebMD_Staff replied to RicRatCat's response:
Hi RicRatCat,

You know...I've heard that we can create new habits if we stick to it for 21 days. After that, our brains have rewired themselves to this new habit, and it gets easier and easier.

Oral hygiene is something many of us neglect or could at least improve our habits with. I am going to make a conscious effort to UP my habits, too. I'll check back to see how we're both doing !

And, get those cavities checked out!

~Andie

AnandSh responded:
I'm a teeth grinder too. It's just an automatic reflex.

I hate wearing those guards.

We should invent a sticky strip, like those teeth whiting ones. Apply it on just one of your teeth, it could be disposable.

Andie_WebMD_Staff replied to AnandSh's response:
Ohh, that's a great idea! They should make them so they wrap the teeth to whiten and prevent grinding all at the same time!

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

WebMD doesn't document EMG for diagnosing TMD
Why are WebMD's informational articles on TMD a couple of years old and don't even mention EMG? Even wikipedia calls it the most reliable ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 7 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website