Skip to content
Breathing Difficulty after Tonsillectomy. Normal?
asogilvie posted:
I had a tonsillectomy this past Friday due to recurring infection. Since I woke up from the anesthetic, I have had difficulty breathing nasally when lying down, specifically when exhaling. Is it normal to have breathing problems after a tonsillectomy?

As an aside, I can breathe normally through my mouth (although it dries my throat) either sitting up or lying down. I can only breathe normally through my nose when sitting up. I currently sleep in an upright position.

Andie_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Asogilvie,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing difficulty breathing after your tonsillectomy and wish we could offer more help for you here on the Oral Health community.

I encourage you to participate in our Ear, Nose and Throat Community . Since this is a Oral Health community, your answers will be limited here. The Ear, Nose and Throat community will be able to help as a support group and be able to point you to other online resources.

Good luck!

~Andie

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Dentures and implantsExpert
Technically speaking, a denture is any prosthetic use to replace a partial, or a complete dentition. It can be fixed (permanent), such as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website