Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Sore on tongue won't go away
kstracy48 posted:
I have had a sore under my tongue for almost a month. It is about the size of a dime, round, white in color with a hole in the middle. Extremely painful to eat, speak, drink. No over the counter medications have helped. My physician put me on an anti-viral medication a week ago, it hasn't helped either. Now it appears to be spreading, area around the sore is becoming white and painful. I have been diagnosed with Sjogrens but my physician has never seen something like this.

What could this be? Is there something else I can try before they take a chunk out of my tongue for a biopsy?

gamadaha responded:
Hello!

Did you ever get this diagnosed? I have just completed my third tongue biopsy (no cancer), but I have had a sore on the end of my tongue which sounds similar to yours, small pebble size lump, whitish on the outside, hole in the middle, for 3 years! I have seen Dentists, Oral Surgeon, Physician and ENT. Not one Doctor can tell me what it is or what caused it. Extremely painful 24/7..well, maybe 18/7 (I can still sleep). Would love to know what you found out!
Not a single treatment has helped, and now I think this third chunk from my tongue is going to yet make it worse. (which was so excruciating because your tongue does not stay numb for long periods of time, and they dont send you home with anything to keep it numb).I am hoping yours has gone away. I have searched the internet for 2 years, and you are the closest in similar traits that I have found to date!
M

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Dentures and implantsExpert
Technically speaking, a denture is any prosthetic use to replace a partial, or a complete dentition. It can be fixed (permanent), such as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website