Includes Expert Content
Roughness on Back of Tongue
mercy2463 posted:
Hi, in the last couple of weeks I feel like it I had something at the back of my throat when I swallowed, that feeling has not lessened so I felt the back of my throat and felt roughness along the back of my tongue, What is causing this should I see a doctor. I does not hurt but it does bother me.

Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP responded:
Hi Mercy2463,

In general the back of the throat becomes irritated or "gunky" when patients have sore throats, cold or flu, allergies, post nasal drip, or a sinus infection. Occasionally gastric reflux can cause these symptoms as well.The back of the throat is lined by your adenoids, they contain the same type of tissue, lymphatic, as are in your tonsils. Both the adenoids and the tonsils swell if you have an infection.The tongue has lymphatic tissue as well, located all the way in the back and on the sides of your tongue. This is called a Foliate papilla and this is normal.

If the roughness you felt was on the top of your tongue, with slightly raised dome shaped mounds arranged in a "V" shape with the point pointing towards your fron teeth, you should not be alarmed. These are called circumvallate papilla and they are normal, in fact they contain taste buds. If the discomfort remains you should see your physician or dentist to have a further assessment.

Hope this helps!
Dr. Gwen Cohen Brown

hellow responded:
have the same problem on my throat and it bothers me when i swallowed but whn i drink something it helps me ah little this started like 3 weeks ago