Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Burned Roof of Mouth
admin1966 posted:
Last night, I was eating brussels sprouts and didn't realize how hot one of them was when I put it in my mouth. Of course, I ended up burning the roof of my mouth. It must have been pretty sensitive because when I rinsed my mouth after brushing my teeth this morning, I noticed a tiny bit of blood. Should I rinse my mouth with warm salt water or diluted peroxide or just let it heal on its own? I'm trying to avoid hitting that spot with food since it hurts, but sometimes the food just hits it since its right in the middle of my mouth, right above the hard, bony part that is on the roof of the mouth (sorry, don't know if there is a name for that).

Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP responded:
Hi admin1966, Burns hurt, fortunately they heal faster in the mouth than on the skin. Unfortunately there is not a lot you can do to make the wound heal faster. 

Typically it takes about three to four days before the discomfort goes away and six to eight days before the burn heals, depending upon the size and severity of the wound.

There are prescription medications, topical steroids, which can make the burn heal faster. Speak with your dentist or pharmacist as to which would be the best choice. There are also topical biofilms you can get without a prescription. These are applied to the wound and they will adhere to the ulceration keeping the bacteria and fungal and microbial organisms that live in your mouth from irritating the open wound. One brand is orabase although there are others that are as effective as well. The reason you need a special product is that the mouth is wet and typical band aids will not stick to the oral mucosa.

Rinsing with warm salt water, I teaspoon to eight ounces of water may help with healing as it is neutral. I don't recommend peroxide as this could cause a chemical burn on top of the thermal burn. I would also tell you to stay away from alcohol based mouth rinses as they may also irritate the mucosa and delay healing time. Don't drink from a straw as that can create enough suction to dislodge the forming clot.

Happily this is a self limiting problem and barring other issues (your overall health and severity of the burn) this will get better on its own within a week or so. If it does not heal in this time frame I suggest that you speak with your dentist or physician. 

Hope you feel better soon. Dr. Brown

admin1966 replied to Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP's response:
Thank you so much. I have been rinsing with some warm salt water and it's feeling a lot better. I've been trying to eat softer foods so that they won't hit the area and irritate it more.

Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP replied to admin1966's response:
Glad to hear you are feeling better!

Dr. Gwen Cohen Brown

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Rash on lips
I just noticed a bunch of tiny white bumps on my top lip. They are white, not clear, about the size of a pin point, and don't seem like ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website