Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Torn lingual frenulum
Kita_kun posted:
Hi, the other day I accidentally tore my girlfriends lingual frenulum, that small flap of skin under the tongue. It was only a small tear and had stopped bleeding relatively quickly. he has been rinsing her mouth out with a mixture of salt and water to keep it clean. It has been six days since it was tore and it still hurts her a bit. She says her mouth hurts from not moving when she opens it to talk it hurts, She can only eat a small amount of food in a single bite and now has a lisp. I want to know what should I do to help her and if it ever heals back up completely. Also, thank you in advance to anyone who can help with this, I appreciate it greatly.

Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP responded:
Hi Kita_kun,

Don't worry the frenum will heal, it will take time - typically a week to ten days - though because it is "used" constantly, eating, drinking and talking. Movement reopens the wound.

Rinsing gently with warm salt water, 1 teaspoon salt in 8 ounces of water, will help the tear remain clean and heal faster. Tell her not to drink with a straw as this creates suction and could dislodge the clot.

If it has not healed after two weeks you should see an oral surgeon and have it assessed clinically.

Dr. Gwen Cohen Brown

gordis012 replied to Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP's response:
are you a real doctor ? i need to trust you. i tore my frenulum my girlfriend pulled my tongue and it ripped. what can i do to heal it ? what can i do to keep it clean? how many times a day do i use salt with water? will it help like nothing happened?

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

sinus trouble in my teeth
need info on sinus that have gotten into my teeth i went to the dentist this week and my dentist told me about this and i have never heard ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website