Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
unsuccessful root canal=extraction
nic14120 posted:
Hello!
I am 33 years old, I just recently developed some cavaties that I intend to get filled when I get money next month.
I had a root canal done on my lower left middle molar in 2009, this is when the final cap was put on. Two days ago, while eating, the cap fell out. I was at the dentist the month before for a full cleaning/xray, and all was fine at that time. I went back in yesterday, hoping to have a re-cement done and be good. I was told that the crown fell out (metal post and all) due to an infection at the base of the root, it caused the remainder of my tooth to decay, hense the crown to fall out. The said the tooth was not able to be saved, and it was not worth a re-do.
They suggested that I get either a bridge (which they say is not financially worth it since it needs to be replaced every 5-10 yrs), this would run about 2200. Or, I can do a false tooth, and all in all this would run about 3500. My dental insurance will be maxed, and does not cover all of this process, so these quotes are out of pocket. I don't have a good finincial situation at the moment, nor do I have avaliable credit to make this happen now, so I will need to save up for this. This savings may take 1-2 yrs.
My question is: I scheduled an extraction of the tooth since there is an underlying infection. Right now I have whatever is left, and it is sharp, and a somewhat hole in there. When the remainder of this tooth is removed, will they be able to sew up the hole, or will I be left with a gaping hole there? If so, will it be at risk of infection with a hole being exposed, now and over months to come? COuld the put something there, and re-open it when I am ready for the replacement?
Also, I was put on clindamycin 300mg 4x a day. I started today. I am getting the extraction Monday afternoon, is there a concern for the infection getting into my blood stream and causing sepsis (sp>?) due to the infection? I am very worried. In your experience, is this the best route to go for me,assuming my infection and financial strains? THank you!!!

Zev Kaufman, DDS responded:
Dear nic14120:

I am sorry for the delay in getting to your question. I was on vacation last week and was not able to access the computer.

I hope that your extraction was uneventful. The risks for any infection from that is incredibly small. The risk of an infection leaving a "bad" tooth are far greater and are almost always there. You are doing the right thing by having the tooth removed.

Ask your dentist about making a small removable partial denture, called a Nesbit, a Flipper, or a "Snap-on smile" denture to replace the tooth. It is a low cost, temporary measure that will keep your teeth from drifting (moving) over time. It will give you the time to save some money for the implant, which you correctly identify as the preferred method of replacing your tooth.

As long as you get the small denture within a month from the time of extraction, you should not have any issues with migration.

Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

nic14120 replied to Zev Kaufman, DDS's response:
Thank you so much for the info!!! I cancelled the extraction because I was scheduled Monday, and didn't know if I would feel well for work the next day. I do plan to go soon. I will definitely ask about the flipper!! Thank you! Can the space be sewn up after removal??

Zev Kaufman, DDS replied to nic14120's response:
Dear nic14120:

The human body is not a piece of material. Sewing is, most of the time, not indicated. As a matter of fact, for biological, tissue engineering issues, it is better NOT to sew an extraction socket over.

This is a decision that is left for your dentist clinically. It is not an issue that should worry you.

Go for the extraction and most importantly worry about having the extracted tooth replaced so that the other teeth do not move.

Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Rash on lips
I just noticed a bunch of tiny white bumps on my top lip. They are white, not clear, about the size of a pin point, and don't seem like ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website