Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Insurance, what do those who cant afford teeth, and fall in between the systems cracks
doodlesmcc posted:
I am a medicare patient, single mom , when my oldest son passed away by drowning I locked myself away, all the dental work that I had prior, fell out, or rotted, I may want to add, I am a pain pt, and have been for a long time, diagnosis-rsd chronic back, extreme pain, so Im on alot of pain meds, which causes dry mouth and other problems. So since 2006 my teeth either fell out/ or most rotted to gum line. in 2011, I decided for my other children, girl 10, boy 13, to get my mouth looked at. well th prices I cannot afford, it started at 30,000 and down to 5,000, and the last one only includes removal of teeth in gums.So I am right back where I was, I stay in now bcause of the way I look, and even brought my friend to live with me so she can take kids where they need to go, Im 48, and prior to my injury and all this mess I worked as a social worker, I obtained a double Bachelor degree, social work, and health science, prior to injury I was in my RN clinical and about to complete, but could not, Its ironic I worked in this field but Ive searched every where but it cost lots of money that I dont have. For a good job it ranges 5,000-15,000, I even purchased dental, but the prices are with the insurance. So I am asking ,No I am pleading for help, I want to enter my childrens life on the outside, I fantasize that Im out playing and laughing, but then reality hits, So stiil depressed, cant get away with not crying every day, Can anyone tell me what to do, Is there anything any one can do, or point me in the right direction, I wouldlike to thank anyone who takes the tme to read this, it is appreciated, Well I left you a legnthy outline I hope someone can HELP!!!

julieohio responded:
I have so been there lost a baby, a sister, a grandpa,and my 2 step children went back to live with there mom all with in a year. I had a great job with insurance lost that too. Go figure my depression lead to many days of drinking and my teeth are ruined Some places take this CARE CREDIT card its not a credit card its a card just for health start small thats what i'm doing if you pay it off in 6 months or a year its interest free my mouth will probably never be beautiful again but for now I had 4 teeth pulled and im out of pain look into it hope its some help julie

connieinak responded:
doodlesmcc, there should be some organizations in your community where you could get help. i have personally received a referral to a participating dentist through the savation army dental program. the "lions" have their eye programs, check with them and see if they know of any dental programs. are there any medical or dental schools close to you? check and see if they have any programs for people with limited means, too. if you receive any state or federal assistance, the people who administer those programs might know of social programs that could help you.get the phone book out and start calling and asking for help and don't give up. i'll keep my ears open and if i hear or think of anything i'll post again.good luck

Zev Kaufman, DDS responded:
Dear doodlesmcc:

I am so sorry to hear about your troubles, but I am happy that you've decided to re-enter life again.

If you are truly in need, you should be able to apply for Medicaid. It is the safety net, and you can get good dentistry in a hospital residency training program, or a local dental school. They will be more than happy to help you apply and get the benefits.

There are free clinics out there, but each state is different.

You must get the rest of the roots extracted and have dentures so that you can get back into life and maybe finish your RN program.
With time, you can save some money and go for the more expensive dentures, and possibly implants.

You must take the first step, though. Find out where there is a local dental school, or a hospital residency program in dentistry. It should be readily available online.

Go in and tell them your story and ask to be placed on Medicaid. They will help you file and get started.

Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

doodlesmcc responded:
Thank you for your replies, Actually I am disabled and unable to work, I did apply for medical assistance, even the small amount I get monthly is too much, so not eligable. also I contacted the dental school, they charge between 200-300 per tooth, which is also expensive with the number of teeth that are in the gum. I heard of the heald the card, and can look into , but with two children, It would difficult to fit into my budget. I do appreciate your advice, and I will
continue searching. Once again THANK YOU!!

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Rash on lips
I just noticed a bunch of tiny white bumps on my top lip. They are white, not clear, about the size of a pin point, and don't seem like ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website