Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
i found a black spot on my gums
An_243807 posted:
found a black spot on my gums right under my two front bottom teeth. it just popped up out of no where. Monday not there tuesday it was there. its as big as maybe two pepper grounds. I worry because cancer runs through my family and my step dad just got over having cancer on the back of his tongue. please help with advice

Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP responded:
Hi An_243807,

I am not allowed to diagnose online however I can tell you that cancer does not develop overnight.

If the dark spot does not go away in two weeks you should see either your dentist or physician and have them assess the area clinically. If it is still there in a month, or it changes in shape or size, you should consider having a biopsy of the area to get a definitive diagnosis. A biopsy will tell you what the dark spot is and how to treat the affected area. if you are very worried see your dentist or physician sooner rather than waiting a month.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Gwen Cohen Brown

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Health Insurance in Your State

Learn about plans, benefits, and costs in your state's Marketplace.

From WebMD

Helpful Tips

How I was cured.
How I Was Cured. By: MeWritten on April 6th, 2013 I NEVER...had a history of geographical tongue. Then suddenly, I had strange symptoms ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 0 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website