Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Floating lump in lower lip
mm1729 posted:
I recently discovered the apparent overnight appearance of a small floating lump on the left side of my lower lip. It was under the skin, and moved around inside of my lip when pushed by finger or tongue. It was not painful or discolored - just annoying. I had developed a bad head cold a couple of night prior to the appearance, but do not recall any other specific event (like hitting my face on anything, or biting my lip.)

To make matters more interesting, I accidentally bit the lump very hard while eating, and damaged the skin on the inside of my lip over the lump. I then started to mess around with the area, and eventually the lump came out of my lip - it was a small, smooth, roundish fleshy mass with what looked like blood vessels in it. It did not appear to contain any fluid (would not pop) but was definitely squishy. The area of my lip is now healing up fine. I cannot yet tell if any lump has returned to the area, but it doesn't seem like it.

Should I see a doctor to explore the possibility of oral cancer?

Things like this usually do not bother me too much, but this one has me a tad concerned. I have read about mucoceles, and it more or less sounds like what this was, except that there was no fluid involved.

Any advice is appreciated - thank you!

Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP responded:
Hi mm1749,

Although I cannot diagnose on line what you are describing sounds like a mucocele. I typically describe mucocele as a water balloon just under the surface of the mucosa. I think that you actually did your own surgery when you removed the gland yourself! As for now, keep an eye on the area as mucoceles occasionally develop in the adjacent gland secondary to trauma. If it recurs you should see an oral surgeon to have it treated professionally.

Dr. Gwen Cohen Brown

legalamanda06 replied to Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP's response:
I have this same thing in my upper lip and it has been there before but I dont know if it went away or I just forgot about it but it seems to be bothering me lately. I looked up pictures of a mucocele and mine doesnt look like those. You cant even see it i can just feel it. I can move it around with my tongue and it moves. What is this?

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Dentures and implantsExpert
Technically speaking, a denture is any prosthetic use to replace a partial, or a complete dentition. It can be fixed (permanent), such as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website