Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
"Wisdom" teeth...
AndieLyn posted:
Do dentists/ oral surgeons still remove all four wisdom teeth at the same time if they decide they need to be taken? My bottom ones started coming in when I was sixteen, and are now impacted, and partially broken through the gum; and now at twenty-three, the top ones are coming in. My entire mouth hurts.

Zev Kaufman, DDS responded:
Dear AndieLyn:

I understand your concern and that you are uncomfortable. However, there is not much that can be done for you here, on this limited forum. You must go and see a dentist, preferably an oral surgeon and have the teeth evaluated and probably extracted.

The decision whether to remove all four at once is an individual choice of yours and your treating oral surgeon.

www.aaoms.org will have a link to a qualified oral surgeon near you, or just ask your dentist for a referral.

Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

AndieLyn replied to Zev Kaufman, DDS's response:
Thank you for your reply.

I do have an appointment in two weeks for x-rays, the earliest they could get me in. There isn't an oral surgeon anywhere near the town I live in that accepts my insurance, so it's just a general dentist for now.

I understand that removing all four is not usual, but I have been told by several different people that most oral surgeons won't remove all four at the same time, because it would require numbing both sides of the mouth at the same time, and generally they don't like to do that. But I have friends and family members that have had all four removed at once, and they all had varying degrees of pain. I had wanted to know the likelihood of having all of them removed without hospitalization, as that was what I was told would happen if I did have all of them removed at the same time.

Thank you again.

Zev Kaufman, DDS replied to AndieLyn's response:
Dear AndieLyn:

I am glad that you have made an appointment to see a dentist. It is the first step to proper diagnosis and treatment plan.

Ask your dentist, after the X-rays are taken what he/she recommends for treatment.

Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Dentures and implantsExpert
Technically speaking, a denture is any prosthetic use to replace a partial, or a complete dentition. It can be fixed (permanent), such as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website