Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
hematoma on the tongue
An_245438 posted:
Today I had a stinging sensation on the side of my tongue, like a pin prick, but not just one time, through the course of about a minute or two it kept stinging. That prompted me to look at my tongue and I see a dark spot, about the size of a pea or smaller. It doesn't hurt now, just looks odd.

I found a 2-year-old post in WebMD about a person having had this happen to them also, but otherwise I could find little to nothing on the web from others having had similar experiences.

I wonder what might cause it? I happened to be eating about a tablespoon of carob chips just before the sensation so worried that I might have an allergy. But I've eaten them before and never had a reaction. I didn't bite my tongue and I wasn't eating anything sharp. The blood is under the skin and it never broke through, just a blood blister from nowhere.

Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP responded:
Hi An_245438,

A hematoma is another word for "black and blue" bruise. They tend to be flat with I distinct or feathery borders. A blood blister resents as a slightly raised blister filled with blood. A hemangioma is a benign soft tissue kesion made of small blood vessels.

Hematoma and blood blisters will resolve on their own. Remember the skin is much thinner in the mouth and therefore can be traumatized easily.

If it does not go away in two weeks make an appointment with an oral surgeon to have it evaluated. If it changes or gets bigger go sooner. More likely than not it will go away on it's own within a week or two.

Hope this helps!

Dr. Gwen Cohen Brown

Helpful Tips

Dentures and implantsExpert
Technically speaking, a denture is any prosthetic use to replace a partial, or a complete dentition. It can be fixed (permanent), such as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 33 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website