Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    "Bulb" on tongue.
    Tom1a posted:
    I've noticed some discomfort on the bottom of my tongue whenever I moved my tongue across my teeth. Today I looked under my tongue and saw that there is a "bulb" protruding from the underside of my tongue. It appears to be the same color/texture as the rest of my tongue, though it is harder. It's small and circular and attached to the underside of my tongue by a strand of "normal" tongue-material.

    To me it looks like the underside of my tongue folded over and formed a kind of callus of some sort before becoming partially detached from my tongue.

    Any ideas?
    Tom1a responded:
    I should add, it's quite small. Roughly spherical, Maybe 2-3 mm in diameter.
    Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP responded:
    Hi Tom1a,

    Although I cannot diagnose on line what you are describing sounds like a "fibroma" or tissue tag or a small "mucocele". Both are benign and generally occur secondary to trauma.

    However as it is a new growth I would strongly recommend seeing a dentist or oral surgeon to have it removed especially if it changes in size, color or texture. Ideally you should have an excisional biopsy (remove it and send it to a pathologist) which will result in a definitive diagnosis.

    I hope this helps!

    Dr. Gwen Cohen Brown

    Helpful Tips

    sinus trouble in my teeth
    need info on sinus that have gotten into my teeth i went to the dentist this week and my dentist told me about this and i have never heard ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    9 of 19 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website