Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
"Bulb" on tongue.
Tom1a posted:
I've noticed some discomfort on the bottom of my tongue whenever I moved my tongue across my teeth. Today I looked under my tongue and saw that there is a "bulb" protruding from the underside of my tongue. It appears to be the same color/texture as the rest of my tongue, though it is harder. It's small and circular and attached to the underside of my tongue by a strand of "normal" tongue-material.

To me it looks like the underside of my tongue folded over and formed a kind of callus of some sort before becoming partially detached from my tongue.

Any ideas?

Tom1a responded:
I should add, it's quite small. Roughly spherical, Maybe 2-3 mm in diameter.

Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP responded:
Hi Tom1a,

Although I cannot diagnose on line what you are describing sounds like a "fibroma" or tissue tag or a small "mucocele". Both are benign and generally occur secondary to trauma.

However as it is a new growth I would strongly recommend seeing a dentist or oral surgeon to have it removed especially if it changes in size, color or texture. Ideally you should have an excisional biopsy (remove it and send it to a pathologist) which will result in a definitive diagnosis.

I hope this helps!

Dr. Gwen Cohen Brown

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Dentures and implantsExpert
Technically speaking, a denture is any prosthetic use to replace a partial, or a complete dentition. It can be fixed (permanent), such as a ... More
Was this Helpful?
23 of 32 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website