Includes Expert Content
"Bulb" on tongue.
Tom1a posted:
I've noticed some discomfort on the bottom of my tongue whenever I moved my tongue across my teeth. Today I looked under my tongue and saw that there is a "bulb" protruding from the underside of my tongue. It appears to be the same color/texture as the rest of my tongue, though it is harder. It's small and circular and attached to the underside of my tongue by a strand of "normal" tongue-material.

To me it looks like the underside of my tongue folded over and formed a kind of callus of some sort before becoming partially detached from my tongue.

Any ideas?

Tom1a responded:
I should add, it's quite small. Roughly spherical, Maybe 2-3 mm in diameter.

Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP responded:
Hi Tom1a,

Although I cannot diagnose on line what you are describing sounds like a "fibroma" or tissue tag or a small "mucocele". Both are benign and generally occur secondary to trauma.

However as it is a new growth I would strongly recommend seeing a dentist or oral surgeon to have it removed especially if it changes in size, color or texture. Ideally you should have an excisional biopsy (remove it and send it to a pathologist) which will result in a definitive diagnosis.

I hope this helps!

Dr. Gwen Cohen Brown