Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Small white bump on lip
MoonDog33 posted:
Hello, and thank you in advance for the help...
Two weeks ago, I noticed a good sized (size of a pea) lump on my lower inner lip. It was not painful, was reddish-purple tinted but largely the color of the rest of my lip. I'm not sure what caused it, but i remember sucking on my lip harder than normal the day before, and I have crooked teeth (overlapping) right where the bump formed, so I postulated that sucking it over them might have caused it. I thought maybe it was a musccole (spelling) but I couldn't really tell, it didn't look as extreme as the pictures I have found.

Two weeks later (today) it has receded almost completely, but hasn't gone away yet which is making me nervous (hence this post). It is now approximately the size of the tip on a ball point pen (maybe closer to the * on a standard keyboard). it is now whitish in color, and feels hard/smooth to the touch. The surrounding tissue, as far as I can tell, looks normal.

I'm a 23 y/o male and former user of tobacco. Does this sound like something I need to be worried about, or am I going to be ok?

Thank you.

MoonDog33 responded:
I should note, I was wrong about the size being close to an * on a standard keyboard.. my keyboard at home has much smaller font. it is closest to the size of the pen tip as stated.

Thanks!

Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP responded:
Hi MoonDog33,

Although I cannot diagnose online what you have described sounds like a fibroma or pyogenic granuloma. Both are benign and tend to occur at an area of trauma.

Fibroma are made of normal connective tissue, they are similar to tissue tags on the skin. They are slightly raised smooth dome shaped masses that over time may become slightly bigger or smaller. They tend to be the same color as the adjacent mucosa however they occasionally will appear whiter as the surface becomes calloused (thicker).

Pyogenic granuloma also occur secondary to trauma, there is a specific subtype associated with hormonal changes however both types - traumatic and hormonal - are benign, fast growing and may appear red or "bloody" in color.

Both fibroma and pyogenic granuloma are completely benign however if you are worried you should see a dentist or oral surgeon to have either a clinical diagnosis or a biopsy to determine a definitive diagnosis.

I hope this helps!

Dr. Gwen Cohen Brown

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Rash on lips
I just noticed a bunch of tiny white bumps on my top lip. They are white, not clear, about the size of a pin point, and don't seem like ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website