Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Soreness on Side of Tongue
SmurfeeDoodle posted:
The side of my tongue against my back teeth is extremely sore. I have looked at it and there are no cuts or abrasions that I can see but it hurts even when it rubs against my teeth. It has not gotten any worse in the past two days but it is not getting any better either. Thank you.

Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP responded:
Hi SmurfeeDoodle,

Although I cannot diagnose you on line the most common reason that patients present with bilateral irritation on the sides of the tongue is that they have been clenching or grinding. As this often happens at night the patient may be unaware that it is happening.

Once the tongue becomes sensitive patients are concerned and they look at the tongue, often, and stock it out as far as it will go. Unfortunately this can really irritate the tongue. Because it is an acute situation and it is symmetric I can tell you with a degree of confidence that it is a temporary situation and it will go away on its own. However, It will resolve faster if you don't poke it or pull it.

If your tongue is still bothering you after a couple of weeks you may want to see your dentist or physician.

I hope this helps!

Dr. Gwen Cohen Brown

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Rash on lips
I just noticed a bunch of tiny white bumps on my top lip. They are white, not clear, about the size of a pin point, and don't seem like ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website