Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Ostoporis & gum disease
Marliss26 posted:
I have both & was just taken off Fosamax by my MD for taking it over 7 yrs. My DDS tells me I have 4 teeth that have to be pulled. But says because I took meds for Osteoporsis they can't pull teeth for 10 yrs. She called oral surgeons in our area & that's what they told her. Now she says I still should have teeth pulled but by an oral surgeon only... She first said I can't have teeth pulled for 10 yrs after discussing w/oral surgeons now she says she still wants them pulled but would not do herslef because there coudl be a severe infection... What are the newest facts on this?

Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP responded:
Hi Marliss26, I am going to refer you to the position paper by the American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.

http://www.aaoms.org/docs/position_papers/bronj_update.pdf

I do not have enough information to guide you and it would be irresponsible of me to suggest treatment without the benefit of X-rays and a clinical assessment. I know it seems straightforward however there are numerous clinical issues and concerns that go into treatment planning , appropriate assessment and overall patient care and this is an extremely complicated problem.

I hope that this helps and that you will find some answers to your questions.

Dr. Gwen Cohen Brown

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Rash on lips
I just noticed a bunch of tiny white bumps on my top lip. They are white, not clear, about the size of a pin point, and don't seem like ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website