Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Dark spots on tongue
tmanley14 posted:
I have dark spots on my tongue and they have been there as far as I can remember. They do not bother me but I am wondering where it comes from and why when I go to the dentist or doctor no one mentions it. Like it is normal. I dont know anyone else with it.

tmanley14 responded:
Sorry. I thought it might be geographic tongue but that does not look like mine. I have dark blotches down both sides of my tongue and on the roof of my mouth.

Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP responded:
Hi fmanlay14,

Although I cannot diagnose online what you are describing sounds like a variation of normal racial pigmentation. As long as the brown spots do not change in size, shape or color there is very little to worry about.

The next time you see your dentist for a check-up point out the dark spots and ask for a diagnosis. If it is important for you to have a definitive diagnosis you can request a biopsy of the affected area.

I hope this helps!

Dr. Gwen Cohen Brown

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

sinus trouble in my teeth
need info on sinus that have gotten into my teeth i went to the dentist this week and my dentist told me about this and i have never heard ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 19 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website