Includes Expert Content
Small bumps in mouth
fsrock03 posted:
Hello,

Recently I have noticed small, white, bumps inside my mouth on cheeks. They range from pin sized to a slightly larger than that. They are painless. I have a history of bitting my cheeks when I sleep so I'm considering this to be the reason. One that stands out, I have one where the gum meets the cheek. It's small and I can feel it with my tongue but can only see it when it is against the tissue that connects the two structures. As for the white bumps they dissapear within a few days.

I have visited a doctor about this, but of course they are never around when I visit. He was able to tell me that it was not thrush. I have HPV but, he mentioned that since they are not painful or stay for longer than a few days it is very unlikely.

I have tried my own research but everything comes back cancer. I'm concerned but do not think cancer.

Thank you.

Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP responded:
Hi fsrock03,

Although I am not able to provide an actual diagnosis online, what you are describing sounds a lot like a benign condition known as "Fordyce Granules". Fordyce Granules are oil producing glans and they often show on the insides of the cheeks, lips and occasionally on the lip as well.

I would strongly suggest making an appointment with your Dentist who may be able to address your concerns and give you a clinical diagnosis.

I hope this helps!

Dr. Gwen Cohen Brown