Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Clorox for teeth caring
An_246369 posted:
I just came back from my teeth cleaning with a new hygienist. She told me to start using baking soda to brush my teeth and Clorox to rinse every other day (one tea spoon diluted in a glass of water). She said this would not only whiten my teeth but kill all germs and that it's completely safe. Is it?

Zev Kaufman, DDS responded:
Dear An_246369:

I have answered this question in many forms, many many times.

The only thing that gets your teeth properly clean is Brushing and Flossing.

Rinsing and all other adjuncts are just that...adjuncts, and the benefits are marginal.

What tooth paste you used is inconsequential. All FDA approved dentifrices (tooth paste) are just fine. Just find the one that taste good for you. If you like baking soda toothpaste (not pure baking soda, which is terribly abrasive), that is just fine.

Clorox is, and should be used for clothes. I personally have never heard of it even recommended as a mouth wash. (I wonder if the dentist recommends it???) Please DO NOT do that! I do not know what effects the bleach would have on your oral tissues and I do not want to find out.

If you want to rinse your mouth (and as I said before, it is just an adjunct the effects of which are negligible), use an FDA and ADA approved mouth rinse.

Please check with your dentist and absolutely DO NOT follow the advise you have received. It is NOT a part of any dental care protocol supported by the profession or any research.

Also, please look up under my resources the link on proper oral care.

Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

dania1 replied to Zev Kaufman, DDS's response:
Can you please tell me something I can use to take away or deminish a minor cavity without having to get my teeth drilled.
Maybe a strong over the counter antibiotic, or does baking soda help any?? Sorry for all the questions.

Zev Kaufman, DDS replied to dania1's response:
Dear Dania1:

First of all, any question is a good question. You are not the only one to ask it.

The number one thing to do is to go to the dentist for a proper diagnosis. There is very limited remineralization (re-compositions) of the enamel can happen ONLY under certain circumstances with limited decay. It is ONLY a decision that a professional can make.

There are products such as Colgate Phos-flur, which can help, however, again, you need a diagnosis by your dentist.

You do not want to use the product on a cavity that is already beyond the repair point and needs professional intervention.

Please go to your dentist. It is the best that you should do.

Best of luck,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

WebMD doesn't document EMG for diagnosing TMD
Why are WebMD's informational articles on TMD a couple of years old and don't even mention EMG? Even wikipedia calls it the most reliable ... More
Was this Helpful?
3 of 7 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website