Includes Expert Content
Strange Thing on the Bottom of My Tongue
EliAngst posted:
I'll try to describe this as best I can.

A while ago (I can't gauge the amount of time) I noticed an odd feeling on the bottom of my tongue. Upon inspecting it with my finger, I found something that felt like a flap of dead tissue dangling from my tongue.Instinctively, I began playing around with it (admittedly not a good idea). Finally I couldn't take it anymore and decided to look at it in the mirror. What I saw in the mirror was not just a flap of dead tissue, but what appeared, from what I could see, to be a blood vessel dangling out from the underside of my tongue. And while it doesn't hurt, it is still quite uncomfortable. How do I remedy this?

Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP responded:
Hi EliAngst,

I am sorry you have been having some discomfort on the underside of your tongue. Although I cannot diagnose online I hope to provide some guidance.

There are numerous structures that are normally seen under the tongue including frenum which attaches the mid-line of the posterior (back) part of the tongue to the floor of the mouth, these often have tissue tags similar to the appearance of a tissue tag on the skin.

The under surface of the tongue itself contains blood vessels, connective tissue, minor salivary glands, fat and nerve. Without seeing the affected area I cannot give you a definitive diagnosis.

The possibility exist that the are still hurts because you are playing with it and that the tissue is not dead at all, just irritated. I suggest you see an oral surgeon if you want a definitive diagnosis they will need to a biopsy. You can also show the affected area to your general dentist who should be able to give you a better idea of whether a biopsy is indicated and they can provide you with a referral if needed.

Dr. Gwen Cohen Brown

corvas responded:
It sounds like I have exactly the same thing. Did you receive any new information/explanation or a treatment for this?