Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Includes Expert Content
    Strange Thing on the Bottom of My Tongue
    EliAngst posted:
    I'll try to describe this as best I can.

    A while ago (I can't gauge the amount of time) I noticed an odd feeling on the bottom of my tongue. Upon inspecting it with my finger, I found something that felt like a flap of dead tissue dangling from my tongue.Instinctively, I began playing around with it (admittedly not a good idea). Finally I couldn't take it anymore and decided to look at it in the mirror. What I saw in the mirror was not just a flap of dead tissue, but what appeared, from what I could see, to be a blood vessel dangling out from the underside of my tongue. And while it doesn't hurt, it is still quite uncomfortable. How do I remedy this?
    Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP responded:
    Hi EliAngst,

    I am sorry you have been having some discomfort on the underside of your tongue. Although I cannot diagnose online I hope to provide some guidance.

    There are numerous structures that are normally seen under the tongue including frenum which attaches the mid-line of the posterior (back) part of the tongue to the floor of the mouth, these often have tissue tags similar to the appearance of a tissue tag on the skin.

    The under surface of the tongue itself contains blood vessels, connective tissue, minor salivary glands, fat and nerve. Without seeing the affected area I cannot give you a definitive diagnosis.

    The possibility exist that the are still hurts because you are playing with it and that the tissue is not dead at all, just irritated. I suggest you see an oral surgeon if you want a definitive diagnosis they will need to a biopsy. You can also show the affected area to your general dentist who should be able to give you a better idea of whether a biopsy is indicated and they can provide you with a referral if needed.

    Dr. Gwen Cohen Brown
    corvas responded:
    It sounds like I have exactly the same thing. Did you receive any new information/explanation or a treatment for this?

    Helpful Tips

    Dentures and implantsExpert
    Technically speaking, a denture is any prosthetic use to replace a partial, or a complete dentition. It can be fixed (permanent), such as a ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    24 of 34 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

    For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website