Skip to content
Includes Expert Content
Too much dental putty used during procedure
Anon_78429 posted:

I had my prep and impression for a crown today and the dentist used so much dental putty that is was coming out of my mouth. When he told me to open to take it out, my mouth was "glued" shut. I had to pry my mouth open and when he finally got the putty out, it took out a previous crown from the lower side of my mouth.

The dentist re-cemented that crown; however, I'm now concerned about whether or not it will stay cemented. This has never happened to me before and I'm wondering if this is common? Incompetence on the dentist's part?
Zev Kaufman, DDS responded:
Dear Anon_78429:

Not only this is common, but you can thank your dentist for taking out a crown that was not securely cemented. If a crown comes out with the impression material (what you call putty), it means that the cement was already week, and the crown would have come out with with sticky food, or worse yet, in your sleep and you could have swallowed or aspirated (into the lungs) it.

Your dentist did exactly what he is supposed to do. He cleaned and recemented the crown. Now we know that the crown is securely placed.

In addition, if the cement was dissolving, the tooth underneath would decay over time, and again, the fact that it came out and new cement was placed, is a very good thing.

As to the amount of impression material... I am sure that your dentist placed the amount that he needed to take a good impression, but no matter how much it is, it always feels "too much". I know, I have had this done to me as well. I understand you completely.

I wish you the best of luck with your new crown and best wishes,

Dr. Zev Kaufman

Helpful Tips

Rash on lips
I just noticed a bunch of tiny white bumps on my top lip. They are white, not clear, about the size of a pin point, and don't seem like ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 34 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website