Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Includes Expert Content
Hello Bothersome Tongue
macca421 posted:
Hello everybody,

I have had this red strip down my tongue for the past week, just wondering if anyone could identify it, all help would be much appreciated, it doesnt hurt but i can feel it there, i also have a cold sore on my lip, are the related? and some little spots on the red strip! i usually have very good oral health, thanks in advance

Neil

Gwen Cohen Brown, DDS, FAAOMP responded:
Hi macca421,

Unfortunately what you are describing is not specific enough for me to provide accurate guidance with respect to the red stripe on your tongue.

What I can tell you is that it is absolutely not caused by the same virus that causes cold sores. In healthy patients the virus that causes cold sores only develops on non movable mucosa specifically the gingiva (gum tissue) or hard palate.

The virus that causes cold sore is a non sexually transmitted human herpes virus and when 'cold sores' develop inside the mouth they never occur on movable mucosa (inside of the lips, cheek, tongue, floor of the mouth).

I suggest that you see your dentist or physician for a more definitive diagnosis and treatment suggestions.

Dr. Gwen Cohen Brown

Featuring Experts

For almost two decades, Dr. Zev Kaufman, has been known in the dental community as "the dentist's dentist." Graduating with honors and a...More

Helpful Tips

Rash on lips
I just noticed a bunch of tiny white bumps on my top lip. They are white, not clear, about the size of a pin point, and don't seem like ... More
Was this Helpful?
15 of 34 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

For more information, visit Dr. Kaufman's website