Includes Expert Content
White filling/sealants
nic14120 posted:
Hello,

I had my first two fillings today, and also some sealants put on. I am not sure if the sealant was the same thing used as the fillings, but I had 4 of those put on in places were tiny holes were forming, to prevent cavaties.

I try to use as much natural products in my own, and for myself, so after smelling the strong odor that came from the filling/sealant (white filling), I researched what is in it..and now scared because it said that BPA has been found in saliva from using this white filling. I know there was worry for metal fillings and mercury, now there are concerns for BPA (cancer causing agent), in the dental products used. The dentist did quickly wipe my teeth down, but I did not get the gargle with water until about 5 min or so after he finished (as he was discussing a possible tooth pull). Am I at risk now for the work that I had done today? Are BPA free one's used at all? If so, can I find out from the dentist what product was used, to know my risk. Not much I can do about it now, but I seriously wasn't worried that this would have been the case....I just trusted it was safe, if used regularly.

Zev Kaufman, DDS responded:
Dear nic14120:

I understand your concerns, however, they are not necessary.
It is unfortunate that from time to time, I have to answer questions such as this. People read many things on the internet, and unfortunately, the scare mongers, "naturalists" and "greens" are a very loud (although very misguided) voices.

The scare with silver, amalgam fillings is unsubstantiated, and all the "evidence" is baseless. Same is for the organic resin that you were smelling from the white filling material used on you.

EVERY substance that we use (including many "natural" foods) can have bad effects on our bodies if used in ridiculously high quantities. The concentrations used on laboratory rats are so high that you would literally HAVE to bathe in the substance tested for years in order to see any effects.

You ARE NOT in any risk at all! Statistically you were at a much greater risk just by driving to your dentist's office.

Just remember that most smokers DO NOT die from lung cancer, they die from old age. (I am not condoning smoking).

The increased quality of life we have from all the materials, and technology we use FAR outweighs ANY risks we have with the materials themselves. Our sedentary life styles (such as reading stuff on the internet all day) cause MUCH more harm to us for lack of exercise.

So... lets keep things in perspective... brush and floss, and know that you did the best things for your health by taking care of your cavities.

Best wishes,
Dr. Zev Kaufman

hrsaemp responded:
Dental sealants prevent tooth decay. You can find information about this at the HRSA Information Center website (www.ask.hrsa.gov ) and search for sealants.